Gas & EV Stations in the US
The number of gasoline filling stations in the US and the number of electric vehicle charging stations over time, preferably the last decade.
- In 1994, the US had more than 202,800 gas stations.
- This chart has the number of gas stations in the US from 1994 to 2004. The chart revealed that there were 168,000 gas stations as of 2004.
- In 2007, the "Census Bureau counted 118,756 gas stations in the United States."
- Based on data provided by the US Census Bureau, there were 114,533 gas stations in the US in 2012.
- In 2013, there were 112,500 gas stations in the US. By 2014, this reduced to 111,600. It stayed the same in 2015, and decreased even more to 111,100 in 2016.
- Please see these charts for the above figures.
ELECTRIC VEHICHLE STATIONS
- Between 1989 to 2000, there were no public electric vehicle stations in the US.
- By 2002 to 2009, there were less than 500 public electric vehicle charging stations in the US.
- In 2012, the US had about 2,000 electric vehicle charging stations. In 2014, it rapidly increased to over 6,000 public electric vehicle stations.
- In 2017, the US had only 15,949 public electric vehicle charging stations with 43,000 connectors
- By the end of 2018, the US had 20,021 electric vehicle charging stations and 57,187 charging outlets.
- California, Florida, Texas, New York, and Washington have the highest number of public electric vehicle charging stations.
- A chart with the above figures can be found here or here.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
Based on the initial research, it is clear the number of gas stations in the US has been decreasing over the past decade while the number of electric vehicle stations keeps increasing. We recommend additional research that will describe 3 to 5 reasons the number of gas stations in the US has been decreasing over the past decade and 3 to 5 reasons the number of electric vehicle stations keeps increasing.
In addition, we propose research on the forecast or expected growth rate for the number of gas stations and electric vehicle stations in the US.