OTC Meds Customer Journey
Identify the buying habits of females ages 18-25 for OTC meds and other pharmacy needs with a focus on UTI pain relief OTC if available. Determine if the identified age group purchases their own medication and any other details of the customer journey.
- In our initial search, we found that data specifically centered around female customers between the ages of 18 and 25 is very limited as most sources use a survey format to conduct purchasing behavior research. In these studies, data is collected from several customer demographics including a mix of all genders and ages. After scouring research reports, surveys, and statistics, we provided purchasing behavior for OTC pharmacy customers below with as much focus on women ages 18-25 as was publicly available.
Customer Purchase Behavior
- According to a recent study, women account for 93% of OTC pharmacy purchases globally with 60% of women in the United States being between the ages of 18 and 29.
- In a 2020 survey made up of 60% women and 40% men, the following results were published regarding shopping habits at OTC pharmacies:
- 48% of respondents prefer to shop at multiple pharmacies.
- 60% of respondents want to stay formal with the staff members.
- 60% of respondents have an idea of what they need when they get to the store.
- 68% of respondents make unscheduled purchases of OTC medications some of the time.
- 49% of respondents purchase same use products randomly rather than choosing a specific product.
- In another survey made up of both men and women, 58.4% of respondents had visited a pharmacy in the past 6 months with the most common reason for the visit being to collect OTC medication for themselves or household members.
- In recent years, the number of visits to OTC pharmacies have declined, however, customers tend to purchase more per visit.
- Customers are transitioning to purchasing online with a 14.9% jump in online retail sales in 2019 bringing online sales to 16% of all retail sales.
- In general, customers are selective about the location in which they purchase OTC medication, however, they are open to several possibilities based on convenience.
- Customers focus on the value of OTC drugs, especially following the economic impact caused by COVID-19 in 2020.
- Female customers prefer plant-based products rather than chemical compounds when choosing OTC medications with 48% tending to read the label before purchasing.
- The most common reasons females choose to purchase OTC medication for self-treatment are "lack of time, convenience, and easy access."
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.