Genetics Test Users Demographics and Psychographics
To obtain the demographic and psychographic profiles of people who use home genetic tests such as 23andMe and Ancestry. Demographic information provided will include age, gender, location, & education while psychographic indormation provided will include attitudes, values, interests, and lifestyle.
Demographics of Home Genetic Testing Users
- As at 2018, Ancestory.com was only able to break down a person's origins between Europe, Africa and Asia, therefore it follows that most customers are from these regions.
- According to a 2017 research paper based on a study of 1,648 users of 23andMe and Pathway Genomics, the majority of participants were middle-aged with an average age of 47.8 years.
- Additionally, the majority of survey participants were white (90%) and female (60.4%). Prior research studies have suggested a higher interest in Direct to Customer genetic testing among these demographic groups.
- 77% of the survey participants had at least a college degree while 22.1% had educational qualifications that were lower than a college degree.
Psychographics of Home Genetic Testing Users
- With respect to lifestyle, the 2017 research study showed that when compared to the general population, study participants were less likely to be overweight or obese (55.7% compared to 63.4%) or current smokers (8.6% compared to 19.6%).
- As one would expect, most survey participants were very interested in ancestory (73.7%), followed by traits (72.2%).
- Additionally, survey participants were very interested in learning about their risk to heart disease (67.8%), breast cancer (66.9%, women only) and Alzheimer disease (66.3%).
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.