Preliminary research to determine the annual employment of business analysts and consultants across all industries, excluding the management consulting industry, broken down by country/region over the last 5 years found a couple of related data points for the U.S. However, data for other countries we searched for such as Canada, Australia, UK, and others is unavailable.
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there was a total of 487,800 employments for the positions of financial and investment analysts, financial risk specialists, and financial specialists in 2019.
- Of this number, about 18,900 were employed in the management, scientific, and technical consulting services industry.
- Therefore, deducting the number of employments in the management, scientific, and technical consulting services industry from the total employment in the U.S. means that there were 468,900 (i.e 487,800-18,900) employments for financial and investment analysts, financial risk specialists, and financial specialists in the U.S. in 2019.
- While data from Statista provided data on the total IT business analyst, architect, and systems designer employments in the UK, the number of employments in the management consulting industry is inclusive.
- According to the report, there were about 108,000 IT business analysts, architects, and systems designer employments in the UK in 2019.
- In 2018, it was 86,000; 2017 was 87,000; 2016 was 72,000, and 2015 was 70,000.
Summary of Early Research
- A preliminary search online found related information on the number of business analyst and consultant employments in the U.S. for 2019, excluding employments from the management consulting industry.
- The team also found a historical breakdown of employments for a related position in the UK for the last 5 years.
- Giving the unavailability of data specific to business analysts and consultants, we propose further search to find data for employments on positions related to business analysts for different countries.