During our preliminary research we were able to uncover healthy lifestyle tips for working class adults ranging from physical activity to healthy eating habits. Below is an overview of our early findings.
We were also able to uncover the top 3 reasons why people don't exercise and solutions for their problems. We were also able to uncover the top 5 common reasons why people don't eat healthy. While these lists aren't specific to working class people, some excuses could resonate with this group.
- If working in an office job, or a job where you are at your desk for a long period, take frequent breaks to get up and stretch in order to give "muscles, eyes and brain a break".
- If you don't always have time to go to the gym, try instead to work SOME sort of physical activity into your schedule through your every day routine. For example, take the stairs instead of the elevator or park farther away from your destination so you have to walk farther.
- A little movement is better than NO movement.
- Keep a regular sleep schedule so that your body can recover, regardless of how much (or little) physical activity you have done.
- Never skip breakfast.
- Make sure to introduce plants into your diet for lunch.
- Drink LOTS of water. Fresh juice and fruit/veggie smoothies will do as well.
- Instead of snacking on chips and other high fat foods, snack on seeds or fruits, as they are high in nutrients.
- Start drinking healthier caffeine, and smaller portions, of caffeine, like a cup of green tea instead of coffee loaded with sugar.
- Eating at frequent intervals will also help you to stay hydrated while you are at work.
- In order to get ready for the next day, do NOT eat dinner after 8 o'clock at night. Eating before 8 gives your body enough time to digest the food you had for dinner and will help you get better sleep.
Reasons for Not Exercising
- "I'm too tired".
- Solutions: Being too tired is a good indication that you NEED to exercise. Start with low to moderate exercise like walking, biking, or yoga.
- Another solution for the above excuse is to exercise with a friend for motivation. Exercising at your most energetic time of the day is also a good alternative.
- "I can't afford a gym".
- Solutions: Instead of buying a gym membership, look into more affordable options. For example, building your own home gym or just walking around your neighborhood.
- "I don't have time" or "I am a full time parent".
- Solution 1: Find ways to make time for exercise, like a block of time in your every day routine where you find you have no other commitments. It doesn't have to be a lot, some exercise is better than NO exercise; start with 10 minutes and increase slowly and soon that time will be part of your schedule.
- Solution 2: Don't watch TV unless you are exercising, or have already gotten in your exercise for the day.
- Solution 3: If you have young kids, put them in a stroller and take a walk with them around your neighborhood.
- Solution 4: If you have older kids, exercise WITH them by biking, swimming, and walking.
Reasons for Not Eating Healthy