Growing Healthcare Systems: Northeast
To provide a list of the fastest growing healthcare/hospital networks in the U.S., specifically in or adjacent to the Northeast region of the U.S.
- Becker's Hospital Review created a list of the "52 Great Healthcare Systems to Know" in 2018. Included in this list of 52 were multiple healthcare systems located in the Northeast region of the U.S. Some of these included Christiana Care Health Systems (Wilmington, DE), Geisinger (Danville, PA), Partners Healthcare (Boston, MA), and UPMC (Pittsburgh, PA).
- Becker's Hospital Review also created a list of the largest healthcare systems in the U.S. This list covered all the country and included some healthcare systems in the Northeast.
- Vibra Healthcare (Mechanicsburg, PA) is made up of 65 hospitals, over 9,000 employees, and 65 specially acute care hospitals and was included on the aforementioned list. This system has significantly grown over the last 15+ years since it was started in 2004.
- 2016-2018 were major years for healthcare system mergers.
- A major healthcare system that was finalized in 2018 was the merger of the Atrium Health and Navicent Health in the Carolinas. The merger combines the Carolinas-based healthcare system with the Georgia-based system.
- In 2019, Atrium Health sought to merge with Wake Forest Baptist Health which would create a system with a potential revenue of $13 billion in revenue and 50 hospitals. Atrium Health seeks to expand outside of the Carolinas into other parts of East coast. This was included because this region is adjacent to the Northeast and shows evidence of a healthcare system that is quickly growing and expanding across the East coast.
- The Harvard Pilgrim-Tufts merger is currently ongoing (should be completed in 2020) and could potentially serve 2.4 million people in the New England area. This merger is currently significant as Tufts is in the process of expanding its telehealth programs.
- Another merger that is set to be completed in 2020 is the Dartmouth-Hitchcock-GraniteOne Health merger out of New Hampshire. The merger was first introduced to reach more patients and protect the state's only academic medical center from other companies and outside forces.
- Another major merger in the Northeast was the merger between N.Y.-based Health Quest and Danbury-based Western Connecticut Health Network that became Nuvance Health. The merger is expected to create $2.4 billion in revenue, serve 1.5 million residents, and have more than 12,000 employees.
Summary of Initial Research
- While our initial one-hour research wasn't able to find an exact list of the growing healthcare systems in the Northeast, we were able to find some key mergers that occurred in 2019 or are expected to be finalized in 2020 in this area that could have an affect going forward.
- We also provided a few of the largest healthcare systems in the U.S., specifically those that are located in the Northeastern area of country.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.