In order to provide recommendations for pharma companies on social impact programs, provide background information on brain health. Specifically, in a slide presentation, provide a definition, key insights, key challenges, key players, and innovations.
- According to the National Institutes of Health, brain health is "the ability to remember, learn, plan, concentrate and maintain a clear, active mind."
- The central idea around brain health is using tools and brain exercises to fight aging and memory loss.
- The European Commission funded brain research through the Framework Programmes at EUR 3.1 billion from 2007-2014 and at EUR 3.2 billion from 2015-2020.
- In the US, the NIH funded the Brain Research through Advancing Innovative Neurotechnologies (BRAIN) Initiative at $400 million, a 50% increase from the previous years funding.
- The US government NIH has launched a national campaign focused on brain health that is now managed by the National Institute on Aging.
- In 2019, one big study published in the Open BioMedical (OBM) journal Integrative and Complementary Medicine showed that "physical exercise, mental exercise, a grain-free/sugar-free diet, anti-inflammatory nutritional supplements, sleep optimization, and stress management" helped slow cognitive decline in adults over 55.
- Globally, consumers spent "$1.9 billion on digital brain health and neurotechnology apps in 2018," four times the amount spent in 2012.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.