Top U.S. Newspaper Companies
The goals of this research are to identify which companies own the most local newspapers in the U.S. and to identify any advertising networks/agencies dedicated to local newspapers across the U.S. that cover a large percentage of those local newspapers.
- A December 2019 article published by Nieman Labs identified the top-five newspaper chains in the U.S.
- Those top-five newspaper chains are Tribune Publishing Company, Gannett (recently acquired by New Media Investment Group), MNG Enterprises (owned by Alden Global Capital), McClatchy, and GateHouse (owned by New Media Investment Group).
- In November 2019, New Media Investment Group acquired Gannett and, in so doing, "create[d the] largest U.S. newspaper company." New Media Investment Group now owns over "250 daily newspapers." The now-merged companies "operate under the name 'Gannett Co., Inc.'"
- This link is to Gannett's website.
- MNG Enterprises operates "approximately 200 publications." MNG Enterprises operates under the name Digital First Media. This link is to the company's website (which goes by the name MediaNews Group, but that's still Digital First Media's site).
- McClatchy owns "30 newspapers in 14 states." This link is to McClatchy's website.
- Tribune Publishing Company operates 10 newspapers, but despite that small number, they are major-market newspapers (such as the Chicago Tribune and The Baltimore Sun). This link is to Tribune's website.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.