Earth Day and Get Outdoors Day - Successful Campaigns
To obtain two specific things: to have some examples of successful campaigns that brands have executed within the past 5 years around Earth Day. Additionally, to have some examples of successful campaigns that brands have executed within the past 5 years around Get Outdoors Day. For each separate project, the campaigns should be ones that have resonated well with both consumers, and the national media.
- Canadian clothing brand tentree conceived and then executed one of the most-liked posts in Instagram history for Earth Week 2019. It produced over fifteen million likes and helped the brand to spread its mission to plant more trees. (Please note that the brand deliberately does not capitalize the first letter in its name).
- Over the five days of Earth Week, tentree’s Instagram post quickly eclipsed posts from celebrities like Justin Bieber, Cristiano Ronaldo, and Ariana Grande, garnering more than 400,000 new followers, as well as collecting 15.5 million likes.
- The results were equally as impressive as to how the campaign impacted traffic to tentree’s website. “We increased our traffic to our US site by like 200%,” said Sasha Bricel, tentree’s former director of brand marketing." That meant more than 200,000 new U.S. visitors came to tentree’s website over the course of the campaign. Many of those visitors came directly from Instagram, but the campaign also drove an increase in people searching for tentree in Google.
- The campaign also generated plenty of media attention, with national publications like Vanity Fair, Wired, and People Magazine all running articles about them.
- The tentree team started coming up with ideas for Earth Week in January, three months ahead of launch. They discussed several ideas, and after much discussion, settled on the idea of "The World’s Most Sustainable Post".
- tentree promoted its record-breaking Instagram post (listen here) by using their influencers, the mainstream press, focusing only on one goal (spreading awareness about tree planting), removing every other Instagram post on their account, making sure they replied to every single comment, and encouraging their followers to share on their stories, rather than on their feeds.
Summary Of Our Early Findings Relevant To The Goals
- Our initial hour of research focused on two things: making sure that the questions asked could be answered in the public domain, and then providing one successful campaign executed during Earth Day.
- We discovered that there was nothing of note for campaigns surrounding "Get Outdoors Day", at least in the time allotted to us. We are suggesting pivoting to outdoor brands with disruptive marketing strategies, and we will, where we can, provide any information whether they activate during "Get Outdoors Day".
- As a geographic focus was not provided to us in the chat transcript, we assumed a global focus. If a more targeted approach is desired, for example, the United States, this would have to be clearly communicated to us in any reply.
- We want to caution that success metrics will not always be available for these campaigns, though we were able to get them for the example we did provide. Where we cannot provide that, we will provide 1-2 examples of thought leaders, industry experts, or the brand executives talking about the campaign and how they viewed the success.
- Please select one or more of the options provided in the proposed scoping section below.
You need to be the project owner to select a next research path.