Coffee Shops in the United States
To determine the number of coffee shops in the United States broken out by Starbucks, Dunkin', and everyone else and to determine how much revenue is generated by independent coffee shops for the purposes of understanding the market for independent coffee shops in the U.S.
Starbucks holds the largest market share of the coffee shop market in the U.S., at 40%. Dunkin' follows at 26%, and JAB Group, which owns Peet's, Caribou, Pret a Manger, and Panera, has a 12% share. Independent coffee shops have a 22% market share.
Number of Coffee Shops
- According to Allegra, there are 37,274 coffee shops in the United States with a market value of $47.5 billion.
- Starbucks holds an estimated 40% share of the market, which means it has about 14,910 locations (37,274 x 0.40).
- Dunkin' and JAB Group, which owns Peet's, Caribou, Pret a Manger, and Panera, represent 38% of the market.
- Dunkin' owns 9,570 stores for a market share of about 26% (9,570 / 37,274).
- This means that the JAB Group, which owns Peet's, Caribou, Pret a Manger, and Panera, has a 12% market share (38% — 26%) and about 4,473 total locations (37,274 x 0.12).
- So "other" coffee shops or independent coffee shops (all except Starbucks, Dunkin', Peet's, Caribou, Pret a Manger, and Panera), represent 22% of the market share of between 8,200 (37,274 x 0.22) and 8,321 (37,274 – 14,910 – 9,570 – 4,473) locations.
- Assuming the share of shops is equal to the share of market revenue, this means that Starbucks' revenue is about $19.0 billion ($47.5 billion x 0.40). This would make sense because Starbucks' total revenue is about $26.7 billion, which would include other items besides coffee.
- Dunkin's market share of revenue would be about $12.35 billion ($47.5 billion x 0.26).
- JAB Group's market share of revenue would be about $5.70 billion ($47.5 billion x 0.12).
- "Other" or independent coffee shops have a market share of revenue of about $10.45 billion ($47.5 billion x 0.22).
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.