To establish global data on the number of internet users, as well as, the amount of time they spend on different online activities (like entertainment, shopping, professional work, and social media among others). Additionally, similar data to be provided for the United States, Germany and France.
- Data from Internet World Stats shows that internet users in the first quarter of 2020 were 4,648,228,067, distributed as follows;
- Africa -526,710,313
- Asia - 2,366,213,308
- Europe - 727,848,547
- Latin America/Carribbean - 453,702,292
- Middle East - 183,212,099
- North America - 348,908,868
- Ocenia/Australia - 28,917,600
- North America recorded the highest internet penetration rate at 94.6% followed by Europe and the Middle East at 87.2% and 70.2%, respectively. Latin America, Ocenia/Australia, Asia, and Africa recorded 68.9%, 67.7%, 55.1%, and 39.3% respectively.
- The global internet growth from 2000-2020 is at 1,187%, with Africa recording highest growth of 11,567%, the Middle East 5,477%,Latin America 2,411%, Asia 1,970%, Europe 592%, Ocenia/Australia 279%, and North America 223%.
- Internet users in Germany and France as at June 30, 2019, were about 79,127,551 and 60,421,689 respectively, while internet users in the United States were about 292,892,868 by Apri 30, 2019.
Time Spent on Social Media
- According to Statista, global internet users spend an average of 2 hours, 23 minutes on social media daily. " According to GlobalWebIndex, Philippines residents lead the way with 3 hours and 57 minutes a day on social media channels. The second place goes to Brazilians with 3 hours and 39 minutes. Last are the Japanese with only 48 minutes of social media time.
- Internet users in the United States spend averagely 1 hour 57 minutes on social media, compared to Germany at 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Facebook is the most popular social media platform, with users spending an average of 2 hours and 24 minutes daily. Internet users spend about 40 minutes daily on Youtube and 30 minutes on Snapchat. Pinterest users spend an average of 14.2 minutes daily, while Instagram users spend about 28 minutes on the platform daily.
- According to Data Reportal, there are about 3.81 billion social media users globally representing 49% of the world’s total population.
- According to Statista, there were about 244 million people in the United States who used social media in 2018. The number forecasted to exceed 257 million by 2023. The number of social media users in France was more than 30 million in 2019, and the number is expected to increase to 38 million in 2022.
- According to Data Reportal, Germany recorded 38 million social media users in January 2020. Social media penetration in the country was at 45% in January 2020. The most actively used platform in Germany is Whatsaap at 79%, followed by Youtube at 77%, Facebook 64%, Instagram 43%, and Facebook Messenger 40%.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.