Smart Speakers: Ownership/Usage

Goals

To determine the ownership and/or usage of smart speakers in the United States in order to use this information for a presentation on the growth of smart speakers.

Early Findings

We conducted our background research to find information related to the usage/ownership of smart speakers, specifically by state, in the United States and also a breakdown by the type of product, if available. However, all the news articles, statistical reports, surveys, and market research reports provided other information related to the smart speaker ownership by gender, by age, by product, and by income. None of the reports and/or articles covered data related to smart speaker ownership by state.

Further, we tried triangulating the data by looking for ownership/usage information of Amazon and Google smart speakers as they have a combined market share of 85%. Since these brands have the majority of market share, we tried looking for state-wise information of Amazon and Google smart speakers separately. However, no information was found in this background research for any state-related data, in specific.

Next, we attempted the third strategy by looking for revenue of these brands or any other statistics segregated by the state to derive an approximate percentage of prevalence of these smart speaker brands. However, there was very limited information on state-wise related topics. As a result, we've presented general smart speaker usage statistics instead of state-wise information below.

GENERAL USAGE STATISTICS

  • As of January 2019, there are around 133 million smart speaker users in the United States while smart speaker owners are 66.4 million, up 39.8% as compared to the same month last year.
  • The top smart speaker brand is Amazon with around 61.1% of market share in the US, whereas Google is the second top smart speaker maker with a market share of 23.9%. The combined market share of both the top makers is 85%.
  • The device market share of Amazon and Google are as follows:
    • Amazon Echo - 35.8%
    • Amazon Echo Dot - 32.3%
    • Other Amazon Echo Devices - 3.9%
    • Google Home - 8.7%
    • Google Home Mini - 9%
    • Google Home Max - 0.6%
    • Sanos One - 2.6%
    • Harman Kardon Invoke - 0.6%
    • Other Devices - 6.4%

PROPRIETARY RESEARCH AVAILABLE

We found some proprietary research from one of our data partners which may be helpful:

Title: Smart Speaker Market in US - Industry Outlook and Forecast 2018-2023
Relevant section of the report: Market Segmentation by Geography (by Arizton Advisory and Intelligence, $28.75)

If you'd like us to purchase this report section on your behalf, just let us know!


Proposed next steps:

You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
Since the information on usage/ownership of smart speakers, specifically by state, is very limited, we recommend finding additional data/statistics on usage and/or ownership of smart speakers catering to the US as a whole.