Hedge Fund Firms - Endowments Research
To have a broad understanding of which hedge fund firms represent the endowments of all the United States ivy league institutions. An ideal response would also include the names and the Linkedin profiles of the managers on these teams. Additionally, and separately, to get a list of the top 10 or 20 schools in the United States with the largest endowment size. An ideal response for that would include the size of the funds, the schools represented, how long the particular hedge fund has represented said school, as well as the amount of assets under management at said hedge fund.
- The five institutions with the largest endowments in 2017 (the latest government data) were Harvard University ($37 billion), Yale University ($27 billion), the University of Texas System ($26 billion), Stanford University ($25 billion), and Princeton University ($23 billion). A viewable spreadsheet has been created where the top 20 schools can be viewed, along with their endowment data.
- The average endowment among the 10 National Universities with the largest endowments at the end of fiscal year 2018 was almost $20 billion, according to data reported by nearly 1,200 ranked institutions in an annual U.S. News survey. The endowment data provided in this bullet point is correct as of Sept. 24, 2019.
- Hedge funds have had years of uneven or poor performance during a long bull market that has favored low-cost investing in market indexes. Their returns and fees — traditionally 2% of assets and 20% of profits —- have frustrated many other institutions. A third of U.S. endowments and foundations anticipate allocating less to hedge funds this year, according to a survey last month by consultant NEPC.
- Endowment funds for the University of Texas, Yale University, Princeton University and Stanford University all made Hedge Fund Alert’s seventh annual ranking of the biggest institutional investors.
- Harvard Management
in Cambridge, Mass. They use Dan Sundheim's D1 Capital, and have had past relationships with Highfields Capital (now a family office) and Harvard
spinoff Convexity Capital, which closed its doors in third quarter.
- University of Texas
in Austin. They have invested with Baupost Group, Eton Park Capital, Farallon Capital and Owl Creek Asset Management.
- Yale University Endowment in New Haven, Conn. Relationships include Baupost Group, Cyrus Capital and Farallon Capital.
- Princeton University Investment in Princeton, N.J. They have invested in vehicles run by Bracebridge Capital, Farallon Capital and Varde Partners.
Summary Of Our Early Findings Relevant To The Goals
- Our initial hour of research was able to provide a list of the top 20 universities in the United States with the largest endowment size, which included a spreadsheet with the top 20 universities, the size of the endowment from 2016, 2017, and for 2018. We also were able to provide some hedge fund firms that are representing Harvard, University of Texas, Yale, and Princeton.
- We could find no precompiled publicly available list that provides which hedge fund firms represent the endowments of all the United States ivy league institutions. This means that each university would have to be individually looked at.
- Please select one or more of the options provided in the proposed scoping section below.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.