To come to speed with what unflappability is and why it is an important human quality, including what people have said about it over time, its psychological and health benefits, its effects on other people, and the actions most unflappable people do take, among others.
- The word unflappable brings to mind qualities that are essential for one to handle daily life and extraordinary crisis and events. An individual's life can be filled with moments of uncertainties, conflict, tension, and even competing demands. Therefore, being able to effectively handle such situations require someone with skills that other people can learn from.
- Being unflappable is not only commendable during the crisis, but also essential for mental health. No matter the challenge or crisis, an unflappable person is always calm and collected. In some cases, they are accused of being uncaring, cold, or even stoic, but that is not the case. They have acknowledged that panicking, getting agitated, or angry in moments of crisis always worsens the situation.
- According to the Miriam Webster dictionary, an unflappable person tends to be untroubled, calm, imperturbable, placid, level-headed, composed, not easily confused, and cool-headed.
- It is important to note that not everyone is born unflappable. These are skills that can be learned and developed.
- Firefighters, police, and doctors are some of the people whose careers have taught them to develop unflappable skills. These people have feelings like every other person, but they don't lose their cool.
How Can One Develop Unflappable Skills?
- First, take time and do a self-evaluation and determine your triggers. For instance, what are the things that agitate, confuse, hurt, or upset you?
- Asses your situation. Always pause before responding to situations or people. Give yourself time to choose how to respond instead of just reacting.
- In times of crisis, try to keep things in the right frame of mind and see the bigger picture. When facing a challenge or crisis, people are prone to filling their minds with their opinions, and they end up losing sight of the overall goals of situations.
- Always learn not to "personalize situations and the behavior of others." It is easy for someone to attack or even lash out at other people when angry or upset. Therefore, during such moments, learn to set boundaries.
- Also, learn to breathe and stay tuned with your body in times of crisis. It is easy for people to engage in unconscious fights in chaotic situations.
- Maintain your tolerance and compassion for people in crisis.
- Always maintain your sense of humor. Try as much as possible to remain cheerful. Humor helps in diffusing tense situations.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.