Website and Web App Differences
To gather information on the characteristic differences between a website and an app, including design principles and feature sets. The information will be used to help think through how apps behave differently than websites in web browsers.
- A website's main purpose is to facilitate navigation for users and "extract relevant information that meets their needs."
- According to Imaginovation, an enterprise-level website builder company, websites' benefits include easy access, easy updating, time and cost saving, easy advertising, and customer satisfaction.
- Other features include quality and relevant web content, user-friendly navigation, and they can be easily searched through search engines.
- A website provides images and text content that "the user can view and read, but not affect its functioning."
- Authentication is not necessary. Sometimes, users may register to get additional options, such as newsletters or exclusive content.
- Websites display "collected data and information on a specific page."
- The website is a complete product, which users access with the help of a browser.
- Websites do not need to be precompiled before deployment. If small changes are needed, a full re-compilation and deployment are not needed, only an update of the HTML code.
- A web app's main purpose is to be responsive to user actions, be interactive, and allow users to "manipulate data and make requests."
- According to Imaginovation, web apps' benefits include personalized experience, expandability, device capabilities leverage, and customer satisfaction.
- Web apps are "cloud-hosted and highly scalable
, mostly cross-platform
, modular and loosely coupled
, and it is easily tested with automated tests."
- In a web application, the user not only reads the content but also manipulates data.
- Web apps require authentication due to their broader scope of options available for users.
- Their functions are more complex compared to a website.
- The web app is part of a website. It is not a complete website by itself.
- Web apps need to be precompiled before deployment. If changes are needed, the entire project has to be re-compiled and then deployed.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.