COVID-19 Impacts on Charitable Fundraising
The goal of this research is to assess how COVID-19 has impacted charitable giving to nonprofits. This information will be used to help nonprofits plan for the fundraising impacts resulting from COVID-19.
CCS Fundraising Surveys
- An article published by CCS Fundraising on June 12, 2020, provided data about how COVID-19 has impacted nonprofit fundraising and specifically compared results from two recent surveys that it conducted.
- A survey conducted by CCS Fundraising polled "1,014 individuals representing nonprofit organizations across sectors, track performance and perceptions between May 1 and June 1[, 2020]."
- Among the respondents, 23% experienced an increase in fundraising. That percentage marked an increase from the prior survey conducted between "between April 1 and May 1[, 2020]" when 14% of respondents said that fundraising had increased.
- Among the respondents from the May-June survey, 56% said that fundraising had decreased. Though that is a significant level of decreased fundraising, it actually marked an improvement from the April-May survey when 63% said the same.
Fidelity Charitable Survey
- A survey conducted by Fidelity Charitable asked philanthropic individuals about their charitable giving plans, in light of COVID-19.
- Among those surveyed, 25% planned on increasing the amount of money they donate to charity.
- Fifty-four percent of the participants said they intended "to maintain their giving levels."
2020 Global Trends in Giving Survey
- "The 2020 Global Trends in Giving Survey", which was concluded on June 1, 2020, polled "7,008 survey respondents from 81 countries . . . that . . . had donated in response to the COVID-19 pandemic."
- Of those respondents, 68% were female, 24% were millennials, Baby Boomers accounted for 41%, Gen Z accounted for 2%, and Gen X accounted for 22%.
- Among all the donors combined, 53.6% were donating on a recurring basis.
- More specifically, 47.5% were donating monthly, 3.3% were donating annually, 1.5% were donating weekly, and 1.3% were donating quarterly.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
We can continue with further research to find an additional 7-10 statistics that quantify how COVID-19 has impacted charitable fundraising. Please let us know whether these statistics should be global or U.S. focused.
Additionally or alternatively, we can create 2-3 case studies of how nonprofits have responded to fundraising challenges resulting from COVID-19 (e.g. virtual fundraising events, ). If this is of interest, please let us know whether to focus on nonprofits from the U.S. or globally. For each case study, we would identify the nonprofit involved and where it's located, describe what the nonprofit is doing to overcome the fundraising challenges it's experiencing, include any available statements from leaders of the nonprofit about how COVID-19 has impacted fundraising, and include any available success metrics.