Importance of Emotional Intelligence
- To understand the importance of emotional intelligence, how it is used to drive decisions, and how it can be used as a differientiator in business, specifically within the consulting industry.
- A consulting firm's success is dependent on the expertise of it's consultants and it's relationships with clients.
- Most consulting firms can claim a team of experts, so in order for the firm to be successful, the experts must cultivate meaningful and valuable relationships with clients.
- It is difficult for a firm to differentiate themselves based on team expertise alone with so many other firms having expert teams and consultants.
- "The critical factor for success in consulting is not simply expertise (IQ) but emotional intelligence (EQ)."
- In addition, building valuable relationships within the firm between colleagues can result in a constructive and collaborative team.
- According to studies on emotional intelligence, EQ can be the biggest predictor of performance and leadership.
- The five components of emotional intelligence are self-awareness, self-control/self-management, motivation, empathy, and social skills.
- Self-awareness involves knowing your strengths, weaknesses, drivers and impact on other people. It manifests as self-confidence. A self-aware person can work comfortably within deadlines through proper time managment.
- Self-control/self-management involves being able to control impulses and moods. It manifests in trustworthiness, integrity, and the ability to accept change. A person with self-management skills is able to overlook failure in order to find productive solutions.
- Motivation involves enjoying achievement, passion for work, optimisim, and a desire to improve.
- Empathy involves understanding the feelings of others especially in terms in decision making. It manifests in hiring and retaining talent, developing others, and sensitivity to other cultures.
- Social skills involves building relationships. It manifests in the ability to influence and move people in the desired direction.
- Critical skills found in people with high emotional intelligence include: stress tolerance, time management, anger management, trust, assertiveness, accountability, flexibility, presentation skills, social skills, customer service skills, communication, team work, empathy, tolerance to change, and good decision-making.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.