Independent Pizzeria Delivery
To understand the independently-owned pizzerias market in the United States, including the number of the independently-owned pizzerias and how much of their revenue is currently from delivery (vs. dine-in and take-out). Specifically, to understand how common it is for independently-owned pizzerias to have their own delivery team. To find the breakdown of pizza delivery revenue between large pizzeria chains and independently-owned pizzerias.
US Pizzaria Market: Chain vs. Independent
- The US pizza market sales reached $45.83 billion in 2019.
- The top 50 chains accounted for 58.93%, generating $26,95 billion.
- Independent and small chains (less than 10 locations) accounted for 41.07%, generating $18.78 billion.
- The total number of independent pizzerias is 42,026 pizzerias.
- According to Aaron Allen & Associates, "independent pizzerias have lost 21 percent of their market share to pizza chains (companies with 10 or more locations). In the past decade, about 7,800 independent pizzerias have closed—with over 2,500 folding last year alone."
- Domino’s dominated the market, while Pizza Hut came in second place.
- Nearly, $9.8 billion on the 2017 US pizza sales was done through pizza delivery.
- In 2017, about $16.7 billion in pizza sales were made through carrying out orders.
Summary of Our Early Findings Relevant to The Goals
- For the purpose of this research, we defined independent pizzerias as having less than 10 locations/units in the United States.
- Our initial hour of the research didn't cover every part of the requested information, so we haven't confirmed yet if we can find all the requested data. However, our initial search indicated that the breakdown of pizza delivery revenue between large pizzeria chains and independently-owned pizzerias is more likely to be unavailable, but it could be triangulated by assuming that the breakdown of the pizza revenue is applicable on the pizza delivery revenue.
- The breakdown of the revenue of independently-owned pizzerias between delivery, dine-in, and take-out is publicly unavailable.
- There is no publicly available data regarding the percentage of independently-owned pizzerias that have their own delivery team on staff. Thus, we are suggesting an alternative path, by calculating the percentage of independent pizzerias in the list of top 100 independent pizzerias that have their own delivery team on staff. We manipulated the whole list in the attached spreadsheet.
- Our recommendations are based on our findings in early research.
Proprietary Research Databases
- In addition to this public search, we scanned our proprietary research database of over 1 million sources and were unable to find any specific research reports that address your goals.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
As our initial search only touched on the state of the pizza market in the United States, we recommend further research to find/triangulate the breakdown of pizza delivery revenue between large pizzeria chains and independently-owned pizzerias.
To calculate the estimated percentage of independent pizzerias that have their own delivery team on staff, we recommend, for the top 100 independent pizzerias in the United States, finding whether they have their own delivery team on staff or they use third-party delivery services.
To gain more insights into pizza consumers in the United States, we recommend further research to uncover 2-3 insights surrounding their pizza consumption habits. These could include, but not limited to, statistics on their demographics, pizza delivery habits (how they order pizza, what channels they use, their preferred pizza delivery services), and their spending on pizza consumption.