Independent Pop Music Artist 3
To identify how the problems identified in the previous strategy, namely, the inability of artists to pursue music as a career due to funding and the lack of diversity within the music industry, can be resolved. This information will be used to inform a business plan.
Lack of Funding
- Record labels have fulfilled an important role in the music industry. They have helped to create a more efficient market, while at the same time assisting artists that would have struggled with financial assistance to enable them to pursue music as a career. Unfortunately, there is a downside to the role they play. It has created a double tier market where there are haves and have-nots. Independent artists do not have the backing that artists that are signed to major record labels have, and therefore, by default, they do not have the same opportunities.
- To a degree, the internet has resolved some of the issues that independent artists have encountered by enabling them to record their music and get the product out there. The difficulty is the lack of affordability to market the music and establish themselves.
- For the musician, motivation is key. One artist encouraged others to never think of their music career as their second career. Their day job exists so they can pursue their musical aspirations. This ensures the musician remains motivated to keep going.
- When starting out corporate gigs, weddings and birthdays should not be overlooked. They provide an opportunity to get your name out there.
- It is important to realize the career is the end result. There will need to be an investment to get there.
- Patreon and Patronism are two sites that give fans (supporters) the opportunity to fund the next project. Building a solid fan base is key. Although it is a slow process, building upon the fan base after each project and rolling that into the next project can provide much-needed funding.
- Incentives can be given to fans to consider funding, for example, access to unreleased material.
- Crowd funding is another alternative. It will require a very definite plan going forward, and a clear plan of what the money is to be used for.
- Although merchandise is often not considered early in the recording process, it should be. Merchandise gives supporters something tangible for their investment. It also creates an alternative revenue stream.
- Over this hour, we have focused our attention on the issue of funding for independent artists. The information we have presented is the tip of the iceberg in terms of what is available. A plan setting out how the funding is to be resolved could be included in the business plan, problems to be solved section.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
We suggest further research into overcoming the problems of diversity and lack of funding. For each of these problems, we would provide 5-7 insights. Insights could include how the issues have impacted on artists in the past, possible solutions, examples of independent artists who have overcome the problem, possible funding streams, how artists have marketed themselves on a limited budget, and any mentors or similar available to assist independent artists at the start of their careers.
We also suggest 2-3 case studies of oriental independent artists. For each artist, we will identify the issues they faced at the start of their career, how they overcame them, and any comments or statements made by them offering advice to upcoming artists.