Remote Imaging of the Eye : Solutions and Research
To find out the list of companies providing hardware or software for remote imaging of the eye and transmission of images for assessment; and a list of papers published for companies/universities developing artificial intelligence solutions for analysis of eye images for diagnosis of dry, age-related macular degeneration.
Companies providing remote imaging and transmission solutions:
- In partnership with DigiSight Technologies, a San Francisco-based digital health company, and EyeNet, a group of Phoenix-based community ophthalmologists, Banner Health has launched Paxos — a telehealth solution that enables healthcare teams to collaborate and make informed decisions at the point-of-care at thirteen of its facilities across Arizona.
- The Paxos technology uses a specialized adapter (FDA Class II registered) that takes pictures of the front of the eye and retina using a smartphone, and includes cloud and mobile-phone based HIPAA-compliant software to allow secure transmission of various vision and ocular tests.
Intelligent Retinal Imaging Systems or IRIS
- A February 2018 study in Cell Magazine showed that artificial intelligence-based software could recognize early signs of macular degeneration.
- The study, authored by Daniel S. Kermany, Michael Goldbaum,
Wenjia Cai, M. Anthony Lewis,
Huimin Xia, Kang Zhang, provided insights on how image-based deep learning classifies
macular degeneration and diabetic
retinopathy using retinal optical
coherence tomography images, and how the solution has
potential for generalized applications in
biomedical image interpretation and
medical decision making.
- Another research paper published in sciencedirect.com shows how artificial intelligence, machine learning, and deep learning can be used in the treatment of age-related macular degeneration.
- EyeScreen, a solution from the company Eyenuk provides an actionable, easy to read, ICD 10 compliant report detailing the presence or absence of macular edema.
- Eyenuk has published a summarised report on its website detailing the use of AI based eye screening pertaining to age-related macular degeneration.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.