Insights and Trends - DR Advertising TV
To gather trends and best practices about Direct Response TV advertising in the US.
TV remains the most powerful media to advertise on in the US, with 100 million Americans not having access to Broadband Internet, and $80 billion to be spent in 2019 for advertising on TV.
Some of the trends and best practices of Direct Response TV (DRTV) Advertising include:
- The actual standard for DRT ads is only 6-second pre-rolls, due to society's attention span getting shorter.
- This extra short format is aimed at targeting younger demographics.
- This format is expected to be the most important in the future.
- It is a short enough format for viewers not to skip but long enough to convey a message.
DRTV popular with new Startups
- DRTV is popular and effective for launching and building new brands, outside of digital channels and social media.
- It is a key component of the exponential rise of startups such as Jet.com, Dollar Shave Club, or Chewy.
- Startups use DRTV in a customized manner to engage existing or new customers.
- DRTV is used by potential "Unicorns" as a way to fuel exceptional growth by raising a direct response from their existing and potential customers.
- TV's success in the US as an advertising medium is still driven by the fact that the average American watches TV for 5 hours/day.
DRTV increasing its share of omnichannel campaigns
- DRTV allows better targeting and segmentation, as well as performance measurement, and is therefore growing its share of omnichannel advertising, compared to the internet and social media.
- DRTV is increasingly used in conjunction with other marketing efforts such as websites, apps, POS and other channels, as video remains a format that remains effective and popular with audiences.
- It has been found that digital results grow following the launch of TV ads.
- Direct advertising generates the best results when combining online and offline channels such as DRTV.
2) BEST PRACTICES
Straight to the Point
- The message the brand is trying to convey has to be straight from the start of the ad.
- DRTV adverts should be instantly recognizable, clear and have an enduring message to be a success.
- The ad has to convince the customer rapidly that there is a value attached to the product on display.
Combination with other channels
- The most successful DRTV campaigns are the ones combined with over-the-top (OTT) or connected TV (CTV).
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
After initial research, we propose to provide 5 trends/best practices of Direct Response TV advertising in the US.
Alternatively, we propose to provide 5 trends/best practices of Direct Response advertising in the US, which will include Direct Response TV advertising (DRTV).
We can also provide 5 Trends and 5 Best practices of Direct Response advertising in the US, including DRTV.