US Plastic Recycling
To learn about the recycled plastics industry in the US by finding or determining the projected US plastic recycling market growth rate for the next 5-10 years, the impact this market and growth rate will have on impact modifiers used in plastics, and the relationship between specialty chemical distributors and plastic recycling as evidenced by companies/distributors running or participating in recycling programs and joining the Association of Plastics Recyclers (APR).
- The global plastic recycling market is currently valued at $13.1 billion and is projected to grow at a CAGR of 9.1% through 2030.
- The US plastic recycling rate (of PET bottles) was 29.2% in 2017, well below the global average rate of just under 56%.
- According to new analysis conducted by Wood Mackenzie Chemicals, "up to $3 billion in additional capital investment would be required to achieve current U.S. recycled plastics content goals by 2030."
- In April 2016, Dow Chemical joined The Recycling Partnership. The Recycling Partnership is an industry collaboration "focused on systematically and measurably improving curbside recycling in the US."
- Chemical and plastics recycling companies in the US include Agilyx, Carbios, and BioCellection, Inc.
- Dow Chemical is a Recommitting APR (Association of Plastic Recyclers) Recycling Demand Champion. While not necessarily providing plastics to be recycled, Dow Chemical and all other APR Demand Champions "commit to purchase new volume PCR through “work in process” (WIP) durable goods, or other applications for PCR," which supports the expansion os a circular plastics supply chain.
- Impact modifiers, also known as performance modifiers, are used to help increase the number of times the same plastics can be recycled. They are necessary to improve the durability and toughness of plastics that have been recycled more than once. As the plastic recycling market grows, the impact market will grow.
We found some proprietary research from one of our data partners which may be helpful:
PVC Additives Market by Type (MarketsandMarkets, $4950.00)
Section 6.3: IMPACT MODIFIERS ($402.50)
If you'd like us to purchase any of these reports on your behalf, just let us know!
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.