Interviewing Best Practices
To learn how to become a better interviewer, with a focus on which questions to ask, and which materials, books, and articles to read on the subject.
HOW TO BE A GOOD INTERVIEWER
- This article published on Workable provides a list of tips and recommendations for becoming a better interviewer, including things such as preparation, showing you care, and improved judgment.
- For each recommendation, the article provides several specific tips and ideas on how best to improve in that area.
- The article was written by Nikoletta Bika, who has a background in human resources and writes extensively about HR and recruiting, with a more specific focus on "bias, data, technology and the future of work".
GUIDE: HOW TO BE A GOOD INTERVIEWER
- This article and accompanying infographic published by TalentLyft focuses not only on recommendations to improve one's own interview tactics, but also on why doing so is important.
- The article includes statistics concerning the importance of interviewing well, and detailed recommendations on how to improve one's skills in that area. The article is broken down into sections for before, during, and after the interview.
HOW TO BE A GOOD INTERVIEWER
- Published by Top Echelon, this article focuses not only recommended actions to take while interviewing, but also on important skills for interviewers to have, such as being a good listener and having a welcoming personality.
- For each recommendation and skill addressed, the article provides a more detailed explanation of why it's important and how to implement it.
INTERVIEWER HACKS: TOP 10 CHARACTERISTICS OF A GOOD INTERVIEWER
- Also published by TalentLyft, this article focuses specifically on identifying a list of characteristics which are important for all interviewers to have.
- In addition to identifying integral characteristics, the article also explains why they're important and describes how one can improve their own skills in that area.
- Additionally, the article includes several infographics and relevant statistics.
5 TIPS FOR BECOMING A BETTER INTERVIEWER
- This article from CEPro provides a list of five specific recommendations to improve one's interviewing skills.
- For each recommendation, the article provides details of why its important and how to implement it.
- The most common and "best" interview questions focus on a variety of topics, including having the candidate describe themselves and their ideal workplace.
- The goals of these questions are to understand the candidate's self-awareness, what kind of skills and personality they bring to the table, and how they'd fit in with the company culture.
EXAMPLES OF QUESTIONS
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
Our initial research was able to identify a number of articles and reports on how to become a better interviewer. We would recommend continued research into this subject, with a focus on identifying 7 to 10 specific recommendations for how to become a better interviewer, with a detailed explanation for why each is important and how to do it.
Additionally, our early findings unearthed a number of interview questions identified as being the "top", the "most common", and the "best". We would recommend continued research to provide a list of 18 to 20 of the best interview questions to ask when trying to get a sense for who a person is and what their personality is like. For each, we will provide an explanation of why it is among the "best" and how it helps reach the goal of getting a sense for a person and their personality.