Gas Station Industry Outlook
To gather insights on the U.S. gas station space outlook.
U.S. Gas Station Industry
- U.S. gas stations generated $109 billion revenue in 2019, excluding convenience stores, a fall from the previous year.
- The revenue of gas stations in the U.S. has been very volatile over the last 5 years.
- They have risen as the employment rate has gone up and more people drove to work, but drops in the oil price have reduced revenue.
- Stronger retail and manufacturing sectors also impact gas stations positively by increasing the demand for diesel.
- The number of gas station businesses has also fallen to 21,103.
- The industry's growth is down 3.7% between 2014 and 2019.
- The two top gas station companies in the U.S. by market share are Shell and Marathon.
Threats and Opportunities
- Americans are driving more miles with their vehicles, which represents an opportunity for gas stations.
- However, new generations of vehicles that are more fuel efficient can reduce the profitability of gas stations.
- The biggest threat facing the U.S. gas station industry is the advent of electric vehicles (EVs) and hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs).
Changes in the Space
- The industry is about to be transformed as oil and gas prices are highly volatile, and EVs and EHVs are becoming more popular, reducing U.S. gas demand by 5% to 20% by 2035.
- The U.S. gas station industry will have to move from a vehicle-centric model to a customer-centric model to survive.
- This means that companies in this space will have to use digital tools to extend their relationship with customers beyond infrequent stops at the station.
- This will imply a transformation of their stations, networks, and assets.
- Gas station companies will need to offer other services beyond gasoline to attract consumers.
- In the U.S., some companies have started experimenting with Amazon lockers in their gas stations, an expansion of their food offerings, and electric vehicles charging hook-ups.
- Some stations have completely converted from gas to charging EVs.
In addition to this public search, we scanned our proprietary research database of over 1 million sources and were unable to find any specific research reports that address your goals.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.