Diet and Weight Loss
To understand how various popular diet plans affect weight loss and how eating habits such as portion control, gluten, processed foods and foods of low nutritional value impact weight changes.
Overview of Diet and Weight Loss
- For a long time, a low-fat diet was thought to be the answer to weight loss. However, recent scientific studies are increasingly pointing to the contrary--with low-fat diets not only fail to help people lose weight but sometimes even lead to higher consumption of carbohydrates.
- According to Harvard Health Publishing, as a general principle, "the best diet for losing weight is one that is good for all parts of your body, from your brain to your toes, and not just for your waistline." It also notes that it must be sensible enough for people stick with in long terms.
- The publication suggests a Mediterranean-style diet as one that could work for weight loss as it is a flexible eating pattern and "people who follow such diets tend to have lower rates of heart disease, diabetes, dementia, and other chronic conditions."
- One of the recently popular diets for weight loss is ketogenic diet (commonly known as keto). Keto is a low-carb, high-fat diet plan. Although it has been used for centuries to treat certain conditions, it has recently become popular for weight loss.
- Simply put, the diet requires exceptionally high-fat content, moderate protein and low carbs. The goal is to deprive the body of glucose so that it begins to use fat as its primary fuel instead.
- According to a diet review by Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, studies have found keto have "short-term benefits in some people including weight loss and improvements in total cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure." The review notes that comparing with the effects of conventional weight loss diets, the keto effects are not significantly different after one year.
The initial research has touched briefly on diets and weight loss, particularly keto diet plan. There are, however, a number of other popular diet strategies for weight loss that may be covered in further research. Low-carb and high-fat/protein diet is becoming more popular recent years in light of new research findings.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
As a next step, we propose to look into 3-5 additional diet strategies for weight loss. For each, we will provide a brief description of the diet strategy and evidence-based information on whether it is an effective method for weight loss. We will also fill out any missing information from the initial findings on keto.
Additionally, we propose another research to look at how portion control, gluten, processed foods and foods of low nutritional value affect weight loss/gain. For this part, we will provide data and information from scientific studies.