Philanthropic Investment in Shelter and Security
To provide the scope, cause, impact, and solutions of four social issues (housing insecurity, lack of education, destabilized or declining communities, and community violence and domestic violence) in order to identify ways for a corporation to create an impact in these areas in the form of philanthropic investment.
Housing Insecurity in the US
- In January 2018, around 552,830 experienced homelessness on a single night in the United States. Out of the total homeless population, around 48.9% were whites while 39.8% were African Americans while 60.2% were males and 39.1% were females.
- Half of all people in the United States that experienced homelessness
in 2018 were in these five states: "California (24%
or 129,972 people); New York (17% or 91,897
people); Florida (6% or 31,030 people); Texas
(5% or 25,310 people); and Washington (4% or
- California (68.9%), Oregon (61.7%), Nevada (56.2%), Hawaii (53.2%), and Washington (47.6%) were among the top 5 states that witnessed the highest rates of unsheltered people experiencing homelessness in 2018. Around 129,972 people were homeless in Californa, of which, 89,543 were unsheltered.
- Between 2007 and 2018, the number of homeless people surged in 12 states of the US, plus the District of Columbia. "The
largest absolute and percentage increases
were in New York (29,296 more people or
47%), Massachusetts (4,941 more people or
33%), and the District of Columbia (1,584 more
people or 30%)."
- However, New York, Texas, and Washington were the top US states among the 19 states that witnessed an increase in the number of people experiencing homelessness between 2017 and 2018.
- Almost 10% of "severely burdened renters (those spending more than 50 percent of their income on housing costs)" in the United States couldn't "pay all or part of their rent", based on a 2017 survey.
Summary of the Initial Findings
- In the initial research, we have covered some aspects from the scoping part of the housing insecurity issue in the US that include how many people are affected and statistics related to a change in percentage of people affected in the last five years and where did those increases/decreases occur.
- We were unable to find many articles related to the information on the intersection of destabilized or declining communities and its correlation.
Proprietary Research Databases
In addition to this public search, we scanned our proprietary database of over 1 million sources and were unable to find any specific research reports that address your goals.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.