The Clarins Brand and Competitors

Goals

To obtain information about the Clarins brand and its competitive set (by market) including footprint/SOV globally, what they are doing in retail, their competitive set globally, and what their competitive set are doing in retail. This will be used to develop ideas for the Clarins brand global retail experience (i.e. digital, not digital, in-store, online, etc).

Early Findings

Global footprint

  • Clarins global footprint spans the Americas (Canada, United States, Mexico), Europe, Asia & Oceania as well as Africa & Middle East (South Africa and Middle East).
  • In Asia & Oceania, it has locations in countries such as Australia, China, Hong Kong, SAR China, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, China and Thailand.
  • In Europe, it has locations in Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Switzerland and United Kingdom.

Retail stores

  • Clarins re-invented its stores to increase appeal to customers and connect with them more with their first generation stores in Hong Kong and Philadelphia. Plans were made to open others in Shanghai and Paris.
  • These stores offer "customized manual diagnosis, coaching on skin care and make-up application methods, along with suggested ready-to-use looks".
  • Clarins now uses an Open Spa concept to attract and serve customers who are in a hurry, where they are offered short facials. Other customers have access to a travel area which was designed to offer customization for essential bags and gift personalization along with easy access to samples.
  • The company opened an Open Spa SM Makati, Philippines in 2018.
  • In May 2018, a pop-up store was opened in Marais section of Paris and the company hoped to continue on this trend through to 2020, creating "spaces where Clarins can be completely free to express its brand and its values". The aim is to offer a unique experience in a space that could be considered "A 100% “Instagramable” space!"
  • Clarins had an opening ceremony for its new ION Skin Spa on January 15, 2020.

Sales

  • The company's total sales was estimated to be $1.7 billion in 2018 with 30% of it coming from the sale of fragrances and the remaining 70% from cosmetics and makeup.
  • The profitability and increase in sales in 2019 was attributed to Christophe De Pous, who recently became the president of APAC and North America of the Clarins Group. He played an integral role in the digital transformation of the brand.

Proposed next steps:

You need to be the project owner to select a next step.