Number of Cloud Computing Companies in the US
To determine the number of cloud computing companies in the US that have over 500 employees.
While information about the cloud market is available, we were not able to find or estimate the total number of cloud computing companies in the US that have over 500 employees. We mainly looked through government databases and industry reports but information about the subject was unavailable.
- According to report bu IDC, the US spent over $124 billion on cloud computing in 2019 while the global revenue generated $214.3 billion, growing at a CAGR of over 12.5% until 2022.
- The market is segmented in five major categories: Cloud Business Process Services (BPaaS)
, Cloud Application Infrastructure Services (PaaS)
, Cloud Application Services (SaaS)
, Cloud Management and Security Services
, and Cloud System Infrastructure Services (IaaS).
- The SaaS sub-segment is completely dominated by the top 15 companies, which hold 77% of the segment's market share. Some of the leaders include Microsoft, Salesforce, Adobe, SAP, and Oracle.
- The IaaS and PaaS, including BPaaS, is dominated by only 5 players that make up 76.8% of the segment, including Amazon, Microsoft, Alibaba, IBM, and Google.
- According to a 2019 report of Rightscale, "91% of businesses reported using a public cloud service, 72% opting for a private cloud solution, and 69% selecting a hybrid solution."
- Moreover, according to Crunchbase, there are a total of 2,370 business that are classified under cloud computing. Unfortunately, the data is not broken down by number of employees.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
As information on the specific breakdown of cloud computing companies is not available, we recommend identifying 2-3 trends that are driving the adoption of cloud computing. For each trend, we will provide information of what the trend consists of, how it is impacting the industry, and 1-2 companies that have successfully implemented the trend or are are driving its adoption.
We also propose to provide a competitive landscape of the 8 biggest players in the cloud computing market (Amazon, Microsoft, Alibaba, IBM, Google, Salesforce, Adobe, and SAP). For each company, we will provide an overview of their cloud computing services, their revenue in the segment, their competitive advantage, their value proposition, and their strengths and weaknesses. The focus will be o their cloud computing segment only.