While information about the cloud market is available, we were not able to find or estimate the total number of cloud computing companies in the US that have over 500 employees. We mainly looked through government databases and industry reports but information about the subject was unavailable.
- According to report bu IDC, the US spent over $124 billion on cloud computing in 2019 while the global revenue generated $214.3 billion, growing at a CAGR of over 12.5% until 2022.
- The market is segmented in five major categories: Cloud Business Process Services (BPaaS)
, Cloud Application Infrastructure Services (PaaS)
, Cloud Application Services (SaaS)
, Cloud Management and Security Services
, and Cloud System Infrastructure Services (IaaS).
- The SaaS sub-segment is completely dominated by the top 15 companies, which hold 77% of the segment's market share. Some of the leaders include Microsoft, Salesforce, Adobe, SAP, and Oracle.
- The IaaS and PaaS, including BPaaS, is dominated by only 5 players that make up 76.8% of the segment, including Amazon, Microsoft, Alibaba, IBM, and Google.
- According to a 2019 report of Rightscale, "91% of businesses reported using a public cloud service, 72% opting for a private cloud solution, and 69% selecting a hybrid solution."
- Moreover, according to Crunchbase, there are a total of 2,370 business that are classified under cloud computing. Unfortunately, the data is not broken down by number of employees.