Men's Facial Skincare: Successful eCommerce Brands
To provide an overview (product lines, revenue, and market cap) of successful male face care brands exclusively distributed through eCommerce channels. Focus regions are US, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand. This information will be used for a new business pitch.
- Launched in 2019, Lumin is a premium, ingredients-focused male skin and hair care line ("Premium care for the premium man").
- They offer products in facial care, hair care, and body care.
- Their facial care products include moisturizers, exfoliators, face oil, face masks, eye masks, and pore strips.
- Sample products include "No-Nonsense Charcoal Cleanser" for $12.80 and "Eye Depuffer" for $9.60.
- The company is US-based (Los Angeles, CA) with a global focus, offering delivery around the globe.
- The products can be purchased via subscription (80% of sales) or "à la carte."
- A privately-held, venture-backed company, Lumin has not reported official revenue (though they did report that their 2019 sales "reached 8 figures"). Revenue growth was estimated at over 50%.
- Amsterdam-based men's facial skin brand, "The Grey", highlights their natural ingredients and the "compact and convenient" nature of their 5 product range.
- Their five core products are face wash, face scrub, face serum, and exfoliating toning pads. They also now offer "turn wrinkles away" anti-aging capsules.
- The Grey is a premium-priced brand, with their introduction gift box (including their five core products) retailing for $390.
- The company has a global focus and ships their products worldwide.
- A privately-held company, we were unable to find revenue information.
Get Jack Black
- Launched in 2000, Get Jack Black is a skin care company that focuses on simplicity and effectiveness. They describe the brand as "Nothing complicated. Nothing cosmetic. Just superior skin care."
- Their product line encompasses four categories: face care, shave, body care, and hair care.
- Their face care line is broad, including face moisturizers, cleansers, toners, scrubs, anti-aging products, eye creams, face creams, lip balm, and sunscreen.
- Product pricing is premium, with the "Pure Clean Daily Facial Cleanser" priced between $12.50 and $35.00.
- Jack Black has websites in the UK and Canada. Their products are available through specific online retailers globally.
- Jack Black was acquired by Edgewell in 2018. The company noted that Jack Black grew 14% in 2019.
- Edgewell did not appear to report sales for Jack Black in their most recent financial presentation, but the privately-held Jack Black reported annual revenue of approximately $60MM in 2016.
- Edgewell's market cap is $1.78 billion.
- Started in 2013, Hunter Lab is a male-focused, Australian online beauty brand that focuses on natural ingredients, skin health, and simplicity in the skin care routine.
- The company offers products in the face, hair, and body care segments.
- Their facial care line encompasses cleansing, exfoliating, lip care, moisturizing, and sun care.
- Their "Charcoal Cleansing Stick" won an award for "best cleanser" in the 2018 GQ grooming awards.
- The products are premium-priced, with the "Charcoal Cleansing Stick" available for $44.
- Their products are available globally, through their website and additional online distribution channels (not specified). The company may also distribute their products through brick-and-mortar channels, but we only found a reference to this in a separate news article.
- Private investor, the Foundry, acquired a 50% stake in Hunter Lab in 2018. The company is private, and therefore revenue is not available publicly. Zoominfo reports annual revenue of $4 million for Hunter Lab.
- Founded in 2015, Tiege Hanley is an online male skin care brand focused on helping men "look and feel amazing" with a "simplified skin care system."
- Tiege Hanley is based in the United States, but has a global focus (shipping to 100 countries).
- The company offers a "system" of facial care products via a subscription-based model. Their systems include 4-6 products: cleansers (wash and scrub), moisturizers (AM and PM), and optional eye cream and serum "add-ons", for an additional price.
- Tiege Hanley WASH was awarded "Cleanser Product of the Year" in the 2019 "Beauty Independent Innovation Awards".
- Pricing ranges from $25-$45 per month, depending on the system level.
- The company is privately-held, so revenue is not publicly-reported. Zoominfo reports annual revenue for Tiege Hanley at $9 million. The company noted an 8% increase in subscribers between March and April 2020.
Additional eCommerce Male Facial Care Brands
- Some additional male-focused face care brands with a primarily eCommerce, direct-to-consumer (DTC) distribution model include Fabric, Geologie and Bruvy.
Men's Skin Care Market Insights
- The men's grooming market in the UK grew 1.2% in 2019, to £895. The growth was driven by an increase in spending on facial care products, including cleansers, moisturizers, and facial masks. 33% of UK men claim to use face creams and lotions on their skin.
- Euromonitor notes that the male grooming market in New Zealand is expected to experience growth, with online subscription models a major disruptor in the industry.
- The North American male grooming market is expected to grow 4.1% annually between 2019 and 2027.
Summary of Early Findings Relevant to the Goals
- In this early research, we were able to profile four companies offering male-focused face care e-commerce sales models. The company profiled in Australia (Hunter Lab) may have some brick-and-mortar distribution, making it less relevant to this analysis.
- We were able to find information surrounding the positioning, product lines, and pricing for each of the brands.
- Most of the brands profiled are privately-held, except for Get Jack Black, which was purchased by Edgewell in 2018. Revenue estimates were difficult to uncover, as privately-held organizations are not required to report sales. Instead, we leveraged news articles and reporting sites, such as Zoominfo, in an effort to get a rough estimates of brand sales.
- Since the companies are privately-held, we were unable to report market cap statistics (except for Jack Black's parent, Edgewell).
- We were able to identify three additional male-focused skin/face care brands that appear to have exclusively eCommerce distribution models, but did not have time to profile them in detail.
- We also provided some general market statistics surrounding the male-focused skin care market and eCommerce subscription models in some requested countries.
- Recommendations are based on the information uncovered in early research.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.