Illinois State Lottery
To determine the number of unique individuals who play draw games (Mega Millions, Powerball) and scratch off games in the Illinois lottery, to help inform a business pitch.
- Total lottery ticket sales in Illinois are valued at approximately $3 billion per year.
- The Illinois Lottery publishes monthly reports that provide data on the revenue and expenses for the month. However, sales are not broken out by type of lottery ticket.
- Sixty percent of Illinois residents play the lottery at least once per year. With an estimated 12.7 million people in the state, this means about 7.6 million unique individuals (12.7 million * 0.60) play the lottery each year.
- In October 2018, the Illinois lottery had record sales, mainly due to over $80 million in sales on Mega Millions tickets due to an almost record jackpot. For that month $164 million was spent on instant tickets, and $181 million was spent on draw-based games.
- In October 2018, more than 27 million Mega Millions tickets were purchased in Illinois.
- The average U.S. consumer spends $86 per month on lottery tickets, according to Bankrate. The Bureau of Labor tickets put that number at about $70 per month.
Summary of Findings Relative to Goals
- Our initial search indicates the requested data is not publicly available. We also attempted to gather information on the number of each type of ticket sold per year, the average number of tickets bought per purchase, and a breakdown in sales by type of ticket. Our hope was that if that data was found, it could potentially be used to triangulate an estimate of the unique individuals for each ticket type. These data points were not found.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.