Coffee Market in the Maldives
Identify the market size in the Maldives and determine the opportunity to sell coffee beans and coffee machines in order to evaluate an investment opportunity. All numbers will be given in USD.
Maldives Coffee Statistics
- The Maldives imports $3.46 million worth of coffee and tea extracts annually, making up 0.25% of its total imports and 3% of its foodstuffs imports.
- Of the coffee and tea imports, 58% come from Malaysia and 32% come from Australia.
- The Maldives does not export any coffee.
- Over the past five years, imports of coffee have decreased at a rate of 0.17.
- The average cost of a coffee in Male, Maldives is between $1.60 and $2.60. A package of instant coffee in a grocery stores costs about $6.10.
- Movenpick, a coffee bean, capsule, and machine company, launched its brand in the Maldives in March 2018.
- Between January and September of 2019, the Maldives imported 106,005,400 MVR or 6,861,190 USD of coffee.
Global Coffee Statistics
- The global coffee beans market size was valued at $10.471 million in 2017, with noted growth in the Asia-Pacific region.
- The global coffee machine market size was valued at $5.88 billion in 2018, with noted growth in Asia.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
Based on our initial hour of research, we found that direct data on the market size of coffee beans and coffee machines was not immediately available. One way to proceed would be to identify the top five players in coffee beans and coffee machines in the Maldives, determine their annual revenue, and calculate the market size for each segment accordingly. We could devote one request to coffee beans and a second to coffee machines.
Alternatively, we could further research the data available on the Maldives' Customs Service website (https://www.customs.gov.mv/Statistics). We could scan total imports for 2018, 2017, and 2015, and determine the quantity of coffee beans and coffee machines imported, the value of these imports in Maldivian Rufiyaa, and the value of these imports in the US dollar.