Alternative Milk Industry - United states
To get an understanding of how big the alternative milk market is in the United States and also identify the biggest players in the industry by market share and revenue from the industry. In addition to the aforementioned goals, you'll also like to understand some of the trends occurring in the market.
- According to Statista, this is the breakdown of annual sales value of milk alternatives in the United States by product type:
- This, puts the market size of the United States milk alternative market at $1.809 billion (summation of the above figures) for 2019. This aligns with data provided by Nielsen and reported by CNBC, which puts the total sales of non-dairy alternatives at $1.8 billion for the 52 weeks period ending October 26th, 2019.
- Between 2015 and 2019, the total annual sales of alternative milk in the United States grew by 23%.
- Blue Diamond Grower is the leading manufacturer of almond milk in the United States with total sales of $554.24 million, which puts its market share at 42.63%. This is followed by Danone with $474.32 million in sales, which translates to 36.49% market share.
- Other leading producers of almond milk include: private label manufacturers with $253.16 million in almond milk sales, Califia Farms with $88.48 million in sales, and Silk Almond Light with $15.56 million in almond milk sales. There market share is 19.47%, 6.81%, and 1.20% for private label producers, Califia Farms, and Silk Almond Light, respectively.
- According to IBISWorld, the three biggest companies in the soy and almond milk production market in the United States are Danone, Blue Diamond Growers, and Eden Foods Inc.
- Mordor Intelligence notes that the alternative milk market in North America is "highly fragmented, with various small and medium-sized companies and a few big players, resulting in stiff competition in the market." It further lists "Dean Foods, Daiya Foods Inc., Earth Own Food Company Inc., Blue Diamond Growers Inc., Sunopta Inc., Archer Daniels Midland Company, Nutriops S.L., Sanitarium Health & Wellbeing Company" as some of the major companies in the region.
Summary of Early Findings
- Through the early findings, we have provided answers to some of the requested information, particularly the market size of the alternative milk market in the United States, the key competitors operating in the market and their market share, albeit within a product category. That said, considering the size and contribution of the product category (almond milk) in question to the overall alternative milk market, logic and by extension the numbers suggests that the biggest players in the almond milk category are also most likely the biggest players in the industry, considering their revenues in this category is bigger than the overall size of the other categories. In view of the aforementioned, we propose the following next research steps.
- Kindly note that the screenshots from all Statista-provided data as well as IBISWorld have been provided in this document due to possible paywalls and report links redirecting to company homepage.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.