US School Bus Market Size
To obtain the market size for school buses in the US, state distribution, a breakdown by bus types (1-8), and the major manufacturers in the US and Canada.
- The global school bus market is expected to grow at a CAGR of around 3% from 2020-2025. 43% of this growth will come from North America.
- The school bus market in North America is expected to grow at a rate close to 4% over the next five years. The number of new school buses in the region have been increasing since 2012 (post-recession) and in 2018, there were 44,381 sales. Of these, majority of them i.e. 39,692 were from the US and 4,689 were from Canada.
- Using the US market numbers of 39,692 units sold and a CAGR of 4% we can triangulate the following:In 2020 there will be approximately 42,931 units sold, in 2021 there will be 44,648 units sold, in 2022 there will be 46,434 units sold, and in 2023 there will be 48,291 units sold.
- In the major North American countries, school transport is very organized and has been in existence since many decades. Hence, demand has been stable since the past few years and is expected to be similar over the forecast period.
- IC engine buses are expected to have a larger share whereas electric school buses are expected to be the fastest growing segment.
- Type C and Type D buses are the most popular ones followed by others such as Type A.
- Over 500,000 school buses transport 25 million students to and from school each day in North America, providing nearly 10 billion trips each year. Nearly sixty-six percent of all school buses are owned and operated by public school districts looking for creative solutions to staffing, training and maintenance challenges.
- The major players, according to Modor Intelligence, are Thomas Built Buses, Blue Bird Corporation, IC Bus, Tata Motors, and Yutong Bus Co. Ltd.
- Market Watch states the top players are Ashok Leyland Ltd., Blue Bird Corporation, Daimler AG, REV Group Inc, and Tata Motors Ltd.
Bus Breakdowns By State
- School Bus Fleet shared the number of buses by state for the 2015-2016 and the 2017-2018 school years.
- The top 100 school district fleets may be viewed here.
Breakdown by Bus Type
- Bus types are organized in market research by type A, C, and D. There is not mention in any market research of types 1-8.
- The school bus sales report by type and region may be viewed here.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.