Preliminary research shows that statistics for most priority questions are available. However, some are not available in the time frame desired (three months for the engagement rate with retailer s
SMARTPHONE PENETRATION AND GROWTH
- According to the Pew Research Center, 81% of Americans have a smartphone, up from 35% in 2011 and up from 77% in 2018.
- Between 2019 and 2021, the number of smartphone users in the U.S. is expected to grow from 3.275 billion to 3,763 billion, representing a CAGR of 4.93%.
ENGAGEMENT RATE WITH RETAILER APP
- According to the 2019 Mobile Benchmarks by App Category report, the interaction rate with the average retail app is 22% and the average response rate is 90%.
- This data is not available for the last three months.
- Retail apps experience a 68% churn rate after three months compared with the overall app churn rate of 71% after three months.
MOBILE PAYMENT ADOPTION RATE
- Currently, less than 10% of Americans have adopted mobile payments.
- Apple Pay has the highest adoption rate in the U.S. at just 9%.
- PayPal's Venmo has the second-highest adoption rate in the U.S. at 7%.
- Zelle and Google each have an adoption rate of 6% in the U.S.
PRIMARY SOURCE OF MOBILE WALLETS
- According to Statista, only 15.4% of mobile payments are made by online wallets such as Paypal or Google Wallet.
- Only 4.2% of mobile payments use carrier billing.
- Apple Pay is the most popular in-store mobile wallet, used by 40% of mobile wallet users.
- Paypal is the second-most popular in-store mobile wallet, used by 37% of mobile wallet users.
- The Starbucks app is the third-most popular in-store mobile wallet, used by 24% of mobile wallet users.
- Lagging behind these wallets are Android Pay (14%), Masterpass by Mastercard (12%), Chase Pay (11%), Walmart Pay (11%), Wells Fargo Wallet (11%), Samsung Pay (10%), Visa payWave (9%), and Microsoft Wallet (2%).
U.S. RETAILERS ACCEPTING MOBILE PAYMENTS
- As of late 2018, 50% of all retailers in the U.S. accept Apple Pay.
- Apple Pay is the form of mobile payment accepted most widely, but Masterpass by Mastercard is close behind, as it is accepted at 45% of U.S. retailers.
- Tied for third place are Visa Checkout and Mobile POS Payments, which are each accepted at 43% of U.S. retailers.
- Paypal is accepted at 36% of retailers, Google Pay at 34%, Chase Pay at 28%, retailer branded wallets at 25%, and Samsung Pay NFC at 20%.
- In addition to this public search, we scanned our proprietary research database of over 1 million sources and were unable to find any specific research reports that address your goals.