Convenience Store Market Shares: U.S. and Canada
To provide market share data for major convenience store brands in the U.S. and Canada (separately).
U.S. Convenience Stores
- The market size of convenience stores in the U.S. is $32 billion as of 2019.
- 7-Eleven has one of the largest market shares in the U.S. convenience store market, according to IBISWorld
Candanian Convenience Stores
- The market size of convenience stores in Canada is $10 billion as of 2019.
- 7-Eleven also has one of the largest market shares in the Canadian convenience store market, according to IBISWorld.
7-Eleven Revenue Insight
- 7-Eleven Inc. is a subsidy owned by Seven & I Holdings Co. Ltd., of Japan.
- In 2019, 7-eleven had a total revenue of 121.6 billion yen (about $1.134 billion). The company's annual report does not provide a breakdown of revenue in terms of the U.S. or Canada.
- A separate source says 7-Eleven's U.S. sales were around $160 million in 2019.
- A recent revenue for the company's Canadian segment was not found to be publicly available across company reports, company databases, trusted media sources, and market reports.
- 7-Eleven has 8,441 stores in the United States. Based on this, they earn an average revenue of around $18,995 per store (or $160 million in U.S. revenue / 8,441 U.S. locations).
- The company has 626 stores in Canada as of 2019. This equates to an estimated revenue of about $11.891 million (or 626 stores x average revenue of around $18,995 per store).
7-Eleven Market Share Calculations
- Based on the revenue and market size data above, 7-Eleven has an estimated U.S. market share of about 0.5% (or, $160 million x 100 / $32 billion).
- 7-Eleven has an estimated Canadian market share of about 0.12%
Results of Early Findings
- This initial set of research has confirmed that our team will be able to provide data showing the market share data for major convenience store brands in the U.S. and Canada (separately). However, this research will likely present various obstacles for which our team will need to triangulate around. This will result in a series of estimates being presented.
- Some of the obstacles our team will likely face has to do with paywalled data, scattered/unconcentrated data, and unavailable data resulting from numerous factors including the data a specific company chooses to present or not present (especially with regard to per-country revenues, which are a necessary in order to calculate a market share estimate.
- Market share estimates can be triangulated using brand revenue within the specified country, calculated against the total market size of the convenience store market within the given country (direct market size data was found to be available, as shown in the early findings above).
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.