Smart Technology in Metal Plating & Phosphate Coating
To obtain case studies of successful technology implementation (AI, IoT) in metal plating and phosphate coating businesses.
- In June 2017, POSCO, a South Korean steel manufacturer, announced that it had started using "new artificial intelligence-based automation solutions for metal plating calculation at its production sites since January".
- Previously, workers were responsible for controlling the specific amount of metal to be plated. This human-controlled process left room for deviation based on the varying skill levels among workers.
- However, by introducing an AI-driven automation technology, the company was set to improve its production quality and reduce excessive steel plating. Through this means, the overall cost of production could be reduced.
- This year, POSCO eventually earned itself a position in the World Economic Forum (WEF) global Lighthouse Network.
- The 10 companies, known as “lighthouses”, added to WEF's network were selected "for their leadership in applying Fourth Industrial Revolution technologies to drive financial and operational impact".
- These factories were chosen by the WEF based on "their success in integrating these technologies to increase efficiency and drive innovation".
- POSCO, together with all other companies in the WEF global Lighthouse Network, are meant to serve as beacons that guide others in overcoming challenges associated with upgrading their systems and applying innovative technologies such as big data analytics, artificial intelligence, and 3D printing.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.