Website Hosting/Building Competitive Landscape
To obtain a competitive landscape for Wix, GoDaddy, SquareSpace, HostGator, Name Cheap, and Ionos that focuses on their target audience, marketing, creative examples, and the differentiation they have in the market for media decisions.
Our initial research time focused on setting up a spreadsheet for project succes and beginning research on Wix.
The spreadsheet for this project may be viewed here.
- The website may be viewed here.
- Wix provides wesbite hosting and the ability to build a website. They offer an editor, templates, SEO, mobile optimization, app market, advanced design features, media galleries, Wix ADI (to design a website automatically), Corvid (for advanced web apps), custom doman naimes, email, free hosting, analytics, contact managements, social tools, SSL certification, Wix stores, Wix Bookings, Wix Blogs, Wix Music, Wix Photography, Wix Video, Wix Events, Wix Restaurants, and a community support forum.
- Their audience is mostly comprised of small business owners, entrepreneurs, and freelancers who want to promote themselves or their businesses online.
- The company produces blogs, videos, infographics, webinars, and in-depth articles for their target audience.
- An in-house staff of writers and social media specialists creates Wix’s content, which includes a frequently updated blog. There are categories comprised of tips for small business owners, information on photography, website promotion, and web design, as well as trending topics across the site.
- Along with producing targeted posts, Wix puts in real face time with its audience to figure out who they are and what they’re interested in learning about. The company regularly organizes meet ups in Los Angeles, London, Austin, Moscow, Rio de Janeiro, and Paris and provides “Wix Lounge,” a free co-working and events space, in New York City. They’re set to launch another lounge in San Francisco this year.
- Wix also has a big presence on social media. On their main pages, they have 246k followers on Twitter, 1.8 million likes on Facebook, 24 million views on their Google+ site, and 881k channel views on YouTube. Their content can be consumed in six different languages, which is fitting for the company that has offices in Tel Aviv, San Francisco, New York, Dnepropetrovsk, and Vilnius.
- They have recently started using LinkedIn to target designers, engineers and agencies that build websites for clients by pitching new products for professionals and shifting the way it spends its marketing dollars to reach them. To reach those audiences, Wix.com is allocating more of its digital marketing dollars to LinkedIn as well as Twitter, seeking the attention of professionals and opinion leaders.
- The company declined to break out exactly how it spends its dollars or share percentage allocations, citing competitive advantage. In 2018, Wix.com spent $74 million in marketing, up from 2017’s $70 million, according to Kantar.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.