Immersion vs. Non-Immersion Cooling for Bitcoin Mining
Compare single phase immersion cooling and fan powered cooling for bitcoin mining to determine the most efficient and cost effective mining solution that will fit in a 40-foot shipping container, including set-up costs.
Immersion Cooling Requirements
- Switching to immersion cooling for bitcoin miners requires additional equipment that can make start-up costs higher than when using a fan-based system.
- To use immersion cooling, individuals need immersion tanks, liquid coolant that is safe for the equipment, pumps and piping to circulate the coolant and a heat rejection system, such as dry coolers, to cool the heated coolant.
- Individuals can also purchase complete immersion cooling systems rather than assembling each component individually.
- The Universal ILC Crypto Mining Enclosure from DCX using single-phase immersion cooling with their proprietary fluid can decrease electricity costs by up to 30% and increase hashrate by up to 20%.
- The Universal ILC Crypto Mining Enclosure supports all mining hardware and is delivered pre-assembled and ready to use.
- This solution is also silent, eliminating noise pollution that can be problematic with fan-based cooling systems.
- Pricing for the system is available upon request from the company.
- Other immersion cooling systems available from DCX include the Immersion Mobile Crypto Mining Unit and the ASIC Module for Crypto Miners.
- The HashTank from GRC Cooling comes in a 20- or 40-foot shipping container.
- The product takes 12 to 16 weeks after receipt of purchase order to ship and another 7 to 10 days to install one unit.
- Customers must provide the mining hardware, prepare the installation site, including laying a concrete slab, and get the required permits.
- The HashRaQ is a smaller unit that can cut cooling energy by up to 95%, reduce energy used by servers by 10 to 20% and decrease up-front costs by up to 50%.
- Costs for these products are available upon request and are not listed on the website.
- GRC offers a savings calculator that lets you input information such as your local energy rates and number of servers to estimate your total savings.
- Neither the GRC and DCX immersion cooling systems provide the bitcoin miners.
- Miners vary in cost. The AvalonMiner from Canaan costs between $1,032 and $1,978.
- Energy usage for these units also varies. For example, the AvalonMiner 1166 has a power consumption rate of 3196W. The AvalonMiner 1066 has a power consumption of 3120W.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
We can continue the research to find 2-3 single-phase immersion cooling systems that will fit into a 40-foot container. We will include detailed specifications, set-up requirements, and estimated costs, as well as estimated energy savings for the system.
We can continue the research to find 3-4 most energy-efficient and powerful bitcoin miners that use fan-cooling. We would include specifications, including estimated energy usage, and purchase and set-up costs for each.