The initial research found that there is adequate information available on the global and United States documentary film industry regarding market size, competitor analysis, and industry trends, however, data may be limited specifically relating to private investment in the industry.
Global Documentary Film Market Overview
- In 2019, the estimated box office sales of documentary films globally amounted to $329.94 Million USD.
- In 2020, the estimated box office sales of documentary films globally amounted to $24 Million USD.
- In 2020, documentary film accounted for 0.2% of global box office ticket sales down from 0.78% in 2019.
- The total global box office ticket sales in 2020 were valued at $12 Billion USD down from $42.3 Billion USD in 2019.
- Regional Market Share:
- North America: 34%
- Europe: 24%
- Asia Pacific: 18%
- South America: 14%
- MEA: 10%
- According to Market Watch, the industry is "anticipated to rise at a considerable rate during the forecast period, 2021 to 2026. In 2021, the market is growing at a steady rate and with the rising adoption of strategies by key players"
- Key Players:
- In our initial hour, we conducted preliminary research on the global TAM for the documentary film industry provided above. While most reports providing calculated market sizes are paywalled, we were able to determine that there is enough information available regarding both global and United States markets to triangulate the data through in-house calculations. In addition, we analyzed the data availability of additional research paths including trends, competitor analysis, and private investment in the industry in order to provide an accurate time estimate for each research path provided below. Finally, we created a custom Google spreadsheet in order to organize quantitative data that will demonstrate current investment trends based on statistics in the industry which have been detailed in proposal three below.