Cannabis Packaging Market
To find out the following information related to the cannabis packaging market:
1) Market size today.
2) Projected growth rate.
3) Estimated value by 2024-2025.
4) USP of the top 3 cannabis packaging brands in the US.
5) Estimate of how many cannabis packaging SKUs are in California.
6) Topline overview of CPG standards for packaging cannabis in California.
Market Size and Projected Growth Rate
- According to Mordor Intelligence, the market size of the global cannabis packaging industry was $101.48 billion in 2019.
- It is expected to become a $297.51 billion industry by 2025, growing at a CAGR of 22.59% between 2020 and 2025.
- The industry is dominated by North America, which is both the largest and the fastest growing market.
Top Cannabis Packaging Companies in the US
- According to Mordor Intelligence, the top cannabis packaging companies in the US are:
- Other notable cannabis packaging companies in the US (according to MarijuanaSEO) are:
Estimated Cannabis Packaging SKUs in the US
- Packaging World has estimated that there are "up to 10,000 retail establishments offering more than 500 SKUs" in California.
Topline Overview of CPG Standards for Packaging Cannabis
- The new regulations released by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) around the packaging of cannabis in California mention the following stipulations:
- Product packaging: Must be child resistant, tamper evident, resealable (for multiple use products), and opaque (for edible products).
- Product labeling: Must NOT be attractive to children, make health claims, use the word 'organic,' and "use a California county name unless 100% of the cannabis was grown in that county."
- It should carry the California Cannabis warning and a Prop. 65 warning "if the product contains one of the 900 chemicals currently on the Prop. 65 list."
- Every layer within the packaging must carry the Universal Symbol, which is "a triangle with the silhouette of a cannabis leaf and an exclamation point."
Summary of the Initial Research
- In the one hour of the initial research, we could present the market size, projected growth rate, and the estimated value of the global cannabis packaging industry by 2025. We also presented a list of the top cannabis packaging companies in the US, the estimated SKUs in California and an overview of the new packaging and labeling standards released by the California Dept. of Public Health (CDPH).
- The time constraint of the initial hour of research did not allow us to find the USP of the top companies. In order to find the USP of the top cannabis packaging companies in the US, we have to dig deeper and conduct a competitive analysis of these companies.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.