Utility Account Holders
To determine the number of unique account holders for utilities in the United States.
POWER (or POWER AND GAS)
- The number of electric utility companies operating in the United States is estimated at over 3,300, with around 200 of them providing power to the majority of users. NextEra Energy, Duke Energy, Dominion Resources, Southern Company, and Exelon are the 5 largest electricity providers. (Note: A list of the Top 400 Energy Providers is paywalled at Statista)
- NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE) is a leading clean energy company with consolidated revenues of approximately $14.3 billion, more than 42,000 megawatts of generating capacity, and nearly 15,000 employees in 26 states and Canada as of year-end 2012. Headquartered in Juno Beach, Fla., NextEra Energy's principal subsidiaries are as follows: Florida Power & Light Company, which serves approximately 4.6 million customer accounts in Florida and is one of the largest rate-regulated electric utilities in the United States, and NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, which together with its affiliated entities is the largest generator in North America of renewable energy from the wind and sun.
- Duke Energy serves more than 7.4 million electric customers and more than 1.5 million natural gas customers.
- Nearly 7.5 million customers in 18 states energize their homes and businesses with electricity or natural gas from Dominion Energy (NYSE: D), headquartered in Richmond, Va.
- Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is a leading energy company serving 9 million customers through our subsidiaries.
- Exelon's six utilities deliver electricity and natural gas to approximately 10 million customers in Delaware, the District of Columbia, Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania through its Atlantic City Electric, BGE, ComEd, Delmarva Power, PECO and Pepco subsidiaries.
The American Gas Association (AGA) releases an annual ranking to reflect the Top 50 local distribution companies nationwide for each natural gas-consuming sector (Residential, Commercial, Industrial and Electric Generation), and also ranks companies in individual market segments based on sales volumes, sales revenues and number of customers. This list ranks the top 5 companies (based on number of customers) as follows:
- SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA GAS COMPANY Total Customers = 5,695,929
- PACIFIC GAS Total Customers = 4,089,550
- ATMOS ENERGY CORPORATION Total Customers = 3,123,773
- SOUTHWEST GAS CORPORATION Total Customers = 1,983,958
- CENTERPOINT ENERGY ENTEX Total Customers = 1,937,381
PROPRIETARY RESEARCH AVAILABLE
Bolster the final deliverable with data from a report titled Utilities Market covering Electric Power Generation, Transmission, And Distribution; Natural Gas Distribution; Water And Sewage; Global Briefing 2019 published by The Business Research Company. The report covers market characteristics, size and growth, segmentation, regional breakdowns, competitive landscape, market shares, trends and strategies for this market AND offers market segmentations to break down the key sub sectors which make up the market. This full report is available for $1500 but portions like Section 5.2 "Global Utilities Market, Historic and Forecast, Split By Segment, 2014-2022" and Section 6.4 "North America Utilities Market Analysis" which are available separately for $115 and $221.77 respectively. If a choice is made to add any of these options to the research, please indicate that choice within the comments of the reply to this research check-in.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.