Remote Working Industry
To determine the companies that serve the "remote working" industry, the size and scope of the industry in the US, the size and scope of the industry in the UK and how this compares with the US, the number of companies that employ remote workers. This information will help ascertain the scope of a trade show servicing this industry.
Insights Into the Remote Working Industry
- Small businesses most likely start with a remote working work culture. Of the companies that employ "remote workers, 22% have fewer than 10 employees, 17% have 11–25 employees, and 15% have over 1,000 employees."
- According to a 2017 Gallup Survey, the industries that most embrace remote working are the transportation industry, the computer/information systems/mathematical industry, and the arts/design/entertainment/ sports/media industry.
- According to FlexJobs, in 2019, 4.7 million US workers are working remotely. This is 3.4% of the population.
- The different varieties of remote working are "office-based with a work-from-home option", "a remote team, in a single time zone", "a world-wide remote team spread across numerous time zones", and "a fully distributed team with nomadic team members".
- We Work Remotely, a web community that finds and lists remote-jobs, provided a list of the top 100 companies globally which hire remote workers.
- Remote How is an online platform that provides education and a community to empower the growth of remote working. This is a company located in the US.
Summary of Finding
- During the initial hour of research, we focused on finding information on the size of the US remote working industry.
- While it was possible to determine the size of the workforce that works remotely, the information found on the number of businesses and the size of businesses that allow remote working was global data.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
Wonder can continue the research and determine the size (the workforce and businesses employing remote workers) and scope (the different forms of remote working and any available statistics) of the industry in the US and the UK. [Please note that information on the number of businesses employing remote workers might not be available. Also, the size of the workforce in the US, mentioned in the early findings might be repeated in the research]. Kindly mention in the findings if we have interpreted the meaning of size and scope correctly.
We can provide a list of 5-7 US companies that provide products/services that enable remote working. For each company, we will provide a link to their website and a description of the services/products provided. As mentioned the geographical focus is the US.