African Microfinance Sector M&A
To populate the attached spreadsheet with a list of the most recent mergers and acquisitions within the Sub-Saharan African microfinance sector. Research will be used for comparison and to guide a sale price.
CIDR and Pamiga Merger
- CIDR (Centre International de Développement et de Recherche) and Pamiga (Participatory Microfinance Group for Africa) announced their merger this January 2020.
- The new entity named CIDR Pamiga will work to provide technical assistance and microfinance funding in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- CIDR is based in France but lists Sub-Saharan Africa as its regional focus.
- Pamiga operates in 10 Sub-Saharan African countries namely Bénin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Mali, Sénégal, Ivory Coast, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, Chad, Togo, Morocco, Tunisia.
- No financial details of the merger were publicly disclosed.
Sub-Saharan Africa Microfinance
- The Inclusive Fintech 50 List presents 16 fintech companies focused on improving financial inclusion through microfinance in Sub-Saharan Africa in 2019.
- These include Awamo, Inclusivity Solutions, and Matontine among others.
- Finextra reports that mobile money is one of the drivers of financial inclusion in Sub-Saharan Africa in 2018.
- The joint Partnership for Financial Inclusion has worked with 14 microfinance companies to achieve universal financial access in the region.
- Borgen Project reported in 2018 that the microfinance industry in broader Africa has reached a gross loan portfolio of $8.5 billion.
- Africa has also developed one of the fastest-growing bases for microfinance institutions.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.