2020 Election Trends
To find information on the current trends on the 2020 elections and how they will impact/are impacting social media. Information to be searched for in research will include whether political advertisements are saturating the market, how political advertising impacts other brands during election time, examples of some of the limitations of political advertisements, how each social media platform differs from the other i.e. Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Youtube, and the steps that people are taking to go around political ads by still advertising without putting money into it.
2020 U.S. Elections and Effects on Advertising
- According to the Wall Street Journal, political ad spending is expected to reach around $10 billion. This figure represents an increase of around $3.6 billion from the ad spending of the most recent presidential campaign year.
- In reference to a Forbes article, "businesses advertising on local TV must take extra precautions as the country approaches the inevitable onslaught of electoral advertising."
- Additionally, businesses in swing states, which are predicted to be Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin and Florida, are advised to pay extra attention.
- During election years, "broadcast and cable television is dominated by political advertisements in the days leading up to the election."
- The Forbes article notes that traditional advertising in virtually all other industries will be impacted by the election cycle. An instance of the expected effects is evident in the fact that ad inventory will be scarce and oversold, especially in swing states.
- A combination of high ad demand during the 2020 elections and restricted supply is expected to result in bloated rates where ad inventory does exist
- During an election year, candidates also benefit from preemption which "means that other ads sold at lower-cost rates run the risk of getting bumped and replaced with political ads."
- With an increase in competition for ad inventory because of political elections, advertisers will be left with the fallout from lost time and money.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.