Trends Around Anxiety and Stress
To understand key trends and topics in coverage around stress, anxiety, and the treatment of these conditions, including key journalists and outlets as well as peak seasons for these conversations.
- In recent years, books concerning the topic of stress and/or anxiety have been trending, with more and more consumers buying titles in this category.
- Specifically, "sales for books in the anxiety category rose 26 percent over the past year at Barnes & Noble".
- "When it comes to anxiety, readers are looking for workbooks and tool kits for coping with anxiety."
- California, Michigan, and Massachusetts had the largest increase in interest in books about anxiety in 2018.
- Overall, rates of anxiety have been increasing, with topics of stress relating to everything "from concerns over privacy and well being to an impending environmental crisis".
- In 2017, the APA found that self-reported rates of anxiety were increasing.
- In fact, numerous studies have found that rates of anxiety throughout the world, and in the U.S. in particular, are increasing.
- Other studies have shown that millennials are "the most anxious generation in history".
- In the United States, those with anxiety or undue stress have been turning to self-help seminars, retreats, workplace wellness programs, and positive self-talk.
- "According to the Global Wellness Institute, workplace wellness is a $48 billion market that is only set to grow."
- A full 70 percent of teenagers in the U.S. believe that anxiety and depression are major issues amongst their peers and friends.
PEOPLE LEADING THE CONVERSATION
- A number of public figures have taken to talking about their own mental health, including experiences with anxiety.
- For example, YouTube star Jessie Paege has tweeted about her experience with anxiety, "prompting others to share their experiences of dealing with social anxiety and stress".
- Similarly, journalist Sammy Nickalls created the hashtag "talkingaboutit" to share her own experiences with anxiety and depression, and to encourage others to do the same. The tag now has thousands of linked tweets.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.