Environmental Positions of New Zealand Political Parties
To obtain a summary of each New Zealand political party's stance on the environment to include any specific information related to trees.
The Outdoors Party
- Many policies of the Outdoors Party revolve around the environment.
- Specifically, the party has a freshwater policy that includes the following:
- The party has a marine fisheries policy that includes rebuilding New Zealand's fisheries and reviewing the "way they are allocated to ensure New Zealanders get fair access to the bounty of [their] marine environment so [they] can all enjoy fishing and fish for dinner."
- This policy also includes the protection of marine habitats to "enhance fish breeding and recruitment."
- The party's poisons policy is to "immediately ban all use of 1080 and brodifacoum poisons."
- Regarding climate change, the Outdoors Party's "supports personal, community and national actions to minimise all pollution of our food, ecosystems and environment" and "regenerative agriculture to promote healthy diverse living and carbon rich soils that grow healthy foods and thriving communities."
- Additionally, with regard to climate change, the Outdoors Party will "encourage education, regenerative agnonomists, research and other resources to help farmers transition from heavy investment in chemicals to lower chemical input and more natural regenerative farming techniques."
- The party is also in the process of developing new policies on healthy living, bringing back the Forest Service, plastics, and food and gardening, but there is no information yet on what these policies contain.
New Zealand First
- One of New Zealand First's 15 fundamental principles is the environment, about which it states, "All environmental policies will be proactive with a view to creating employment and sustainable wealth whilst improving one of our few competitive advantages."
- New Zealand First's environmental policies include the following:
- The government will set a net zero carbon target by 2050
- The government will "establish and legislate split gas targets for carbon dioxide and biogenic methane"
- The government will establish an "initial methane target at a 10 percent reduction from 2017 levels from 2020 to 2030."
- New Zealand First also supported the One Billion Trees Programme, funding for which was rejected in August 2019.
- The One Billion Trees Programme is designed to "increase tree planting across New Zealand. The goal is to double the current planting rate to reach one billion trees planted by 2028."
The Maori Party
- With regard to trees, the Maori Party states that one of its climate change policies is to support a "proposal that will see the planting of 100,000 hectares of new forests over the next 10 years."
- The Maori Party has the following policies regarding the environment:
- With regard to climate change, the Maori Party has the following policies:
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.