North American Premium Coffee Drinkers

Goals

To develop a demographic, psychographic and discover if there are any emerging fall trends for a marketing plan for premium coffee drinkers in North America.

Early Findings

Fall Fashion & Beauty Trends

Preliminary research indicates that there are fashion and makeup trends available. The other overarching trends discovered were not new, such as pumpkin everything.
In order to complete a psychographic, we first need to locate demographics.

Demographics

  • 64% of American adults consume coffee every day.
  • An average American drinks 3.1 cups of coffee per day.
  • Americans drink about 146 billion cups of coffee annually. ThMore than half of all coffee consumers would rather skip a shower in the morning than skip their coffee.
  • Also, about 49% of them would rather do without their mobile phone for a whole month than give up coffee.
  • 66% of women drink coffee every day, compared to 62% of men.
  • The percentage of people who drink coffee is greater among workers with a higher income. In particular, 66% of people with an income greater than $30,000 consume coffee, compared to 58% of workers who earn less than that amount.
  • 74% of Americans aged 55+ drink at least one cup of coffee every day.
  • 40% of people aged 18- to 24-years old drinking coffee daily, while 54% of people aged 25- to 39- years, indulge in a daily cup.
  • If we look at coffee consumption by age, seniors are the greatest coffee consumers. Conversely, US adults aged 18–34 drink this beverage the least often.
  • 65% of US adults drink coffee with their breakfast. 30% of them drink coffee between meals, and 5% drink it with meals other than breakfast. Some studies point out that the best times for this energy-boosting drink are between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m., and then 2 p.m. and 5 p.m.
  • 79% of Americans prepare coffee at home. According to a survey conducted by the National Coffee Association (NCA), Americans tend to drink coffee at home. Only 36% of respondents said that they’d had a cup of coffee away from home the previous day.
  • About 35% of coffee consumers usually drink black coffee. The remaining 65% prefer to sweeten this beverage or to add some cream.
  • 48% of millennials consume gourmet coffee. Data collected by the NCA shows that younger coffee drinkers consume more gourmet coffee than other age groups. According to the coffee statistics from 2018, 36% of people from this generation drink cappuccinos, lattes, and the like, and 22% of them like espresso.
  • While total coffee consumption in the United States has remained fairly flat over the past year, more Americans are regularly drinking gourmet coffees, cold brew and other specialized beverages compared to non-gourmet coffee, according to the latest National Coffee Association (NCA) annual report on coffee consumption.
  • According to a National Coffee Association survey, Hispanic Americans (65%) are more likely to consume coffee on a daily basis in the United States compared to other race. 64% of Caucasians report drinking coffee on a daily basis. 54% of those identifying as African Americans report drinking coffee on a daily basis. (NCA)
  • Specialty coffee drinkers consumer on average 2.97 cups per day.
  • People in the tech industry like IT professionals, web designers, and other office workers report drinking the most coffee.

Demographic Analysis

  • The average drinker of coffee is:
  • Female
  • Income over $30,000 yearly
  • Over the age of 35 with millennials most likely to drink premium coffee
  • Drinks around 3 cups per day with breakfast coffee being the most important
  • Her race is Hispanic or Caucasian.
  • She most likely works in an office setting or IT.
This information can now be used to develop a psychographic.

Proposed next steps:

You need to be the project owner to select a next step.