Advancements in Semaglutide
To identify the advancements made for semaglutide, concizumab, somapacitan, and oral semaglutide
- This article discusses recent developments with semaglutide. It examines "the chemistry employed in designing liraglutide and semaglutide, the human and non-human studies used to investigate their cellular targets and pharmacological effects, and ongoing investigations into new applications and formulations of these drugs."
- This article and this article describe the PIONEER trials conducted by Novo Nordisk and their outcome.
- The PIONEER 1 trial had a duration of 26 weeks, the PIONEER 2 trial had a duration of 52 weeks, and the PIONEER 3 trial had a duration of 78 weeks. All three "trials specifically investigated the long-term efficacy and safety of oral semaglutide in comparison to the placebo, Eli Lilly’s Jardiance (empagliflozin) 25mg, and Merck’s Januvia (sitagliptin) 100mg, respectively." Eli Lilly’s Jardiance and Merck’s Januvia are commonly prescribed for type 2 diabetes.
- The PIONEER 1 trial investigated oral semaglutide versus a placebo. The PIONEER 2 trial investigated oral semaglutide versus Jardiance 25mg. The PIONEER 3 trial "investigated oral semaglutide at the three doses (3mg, 7mg, and 14mg) versus Januvia 100mg."
- The results of the trials were, "Once-daily oral semaglutide demonstrated a significant dose-dependent glucose-lowering effect compared to placebo and the active comparators (Jardiance and Januvia). Oral semaglutide also provided a significant dose-dependent reduction in body weight versus placebo and the active comparators. Finally, across all three PIONEER trials, no unexpected safety findings were observed."
- This provides the specific study details of PIONEER 1, PIONEER 2, and PIONEER 3.
- This study looks at semaglutide in the UK.
Summary of Findings
- During the initial hour of research, we focused on the drug semaglutide and any advancements for this drug.
- Information was found on the development of the drug and the PIONEER trials which showed a significant dose-dependent glucose-lowering effect.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.