Online Bill Pay Consumer Barriers
To understand some barriers and challenges consumers face with online bill payments and potential solutions for overcoming those barriers.
Consumer Barriers to Online Bill Payments
- Complexity is one barrier to online bill payments, as consumers get frustrated if the process to pay a bill is too cumbersome.
- Banks and other online billers can alleviate this obstacle by simplifying forms, providing autocomplete fields, and providing easy access to transaction information.
Limited Payment Channels
- While consumers are coming around to the ideal of online billing, they want flexibility in how they access those options. They want the options of accessing online payments via a company website or their financial institution, as well as through mobile devices, and they want to use their choice of payment type (credit card, debit card, or ACH).
- Billers can alleviate this frustration by adopting more payment channels to create connected payment experiences across multiple channels to meet consumers where they are.
Mobile or E-Money Payments
- An article written by PSI-Pay, a leading payment solution provider, offers insights into barriers to adoption of e-money payments, which may have some relevance to the project goals.
- Other articles discuss the consumer pain points around mobile payments, which also differ from online payments but may have some relevance.
In addition to this public search, we scanned our proprietary research database of over 1 million sources and were unable to find any specific research reports that address your goals.
Summary of Initial Findings Relative to Goals
Our initial research has identified two barriers or pain points related to consumer use of online bill payment options. In our research, we encountered several articles that focus on mobile payments or e-money, which are related but not quite the same as conventional online payments.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.