To obtain information about organic farming, including controversies, benefits, entry barriers, and most common crops grown organically.
- According to Conserve Energy Future, "organic farming is a technique, which involves [the] cultivation of plants and rearing of animals in natural ways".
- In this process, biological materials are used, while synthetic substances are avoided to maintain ecological balance and soil fertility. Consequently, pollution and wastage are minimized.
- Basically, crops grown through organic farming are nurtured without using synthetic based pesticides and fertilizers. Also, this farming technique does not permit the use of organisms that are genetically modified.
- Ecovia Intelligence estimated that the global organic food market reached US$97 billion in 2017. With a revenue of 40 billion euros, the United States was the leading market. Germany was the second biggest market (10 billion euros).
- In third place was France which was worth 7.9 billion euros, while China was the fourth largest with 7.6 billion euros.
- Switzerland spent the highest amount on organic food in 2017. Denmark was the country with the highest share in the organic market, accounting for 13.3% of the total food market.
- In 2017, a total of "2.9 million organic producers were reported, which is 5 percent more than in 2016".
- The highest number of producers were in India, followed by Uganda and Mexico.
- In total, "69.8 million hectares were organically managed at the end of 2017, representing a growth of 20 percent or 11.7 million hectares over 2016, the largest growth ever recorded".
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.